New boy on the block – please help!

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself New boy on the block – please help!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    Andy P
    Participant

Cheers, mgroadster
    Thanks for your help. I think I am decided now on the Transit LWB high top, having seen a few adverts for vans within the local area down here in the South East. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the 2.5 Litre manual 5 speed diesel is the way forward for easy conversion and maintenance, and I agree that being able to stand up in the van is a requirement. So, with all that in mind, can I possibly bug you guys one more time and ask if there are any pratfalls / tripfalls to be avoided in the early stages of a conversion?

Thanks again, mgroadster.

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Cheers, mgroadster
    Thanks for your help. I think I am decided now on the Transit LWB high top, having seen a few adverts for vans within the local area down here in the South East. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the 2.5 Litre manual 5 speed diesel is the way forward for easy conversion and maintenance, and I agree that being able to stand up in the van is a requirement. So, with all that in mind, can I possibly bug you guys one more time and ask if there are any pratfalls / tripfalls to be avoided in the early stages of a conversion?

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Cheers, mgroadster

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

At the very early stages,
    At the very early stages, plan your interior and then think about it some more before commencing fit out and installing the carcassing. I started mine, but at a very early stage, saw a pic of a completed one (Same model as mine, LWB high top)and I instantly saw a possibility I hadn’t thought about, so ripped out some of my previous handywork, so I could change it to a design in the pic I’d found.
    I ensure my van has regular oil & filter changes. When I got it,It’s first 3 years were with GE Capital as a utilities van and the service record was a printout with EVERYTHING that had been done on the van previously.

mgroadster
    Participant

At the very early stages, plan your interior and then think about it some more before commencing fit out and installing the carcassing. I started mine, but at a very early stage, saw a pic of a completed one (Same model as mine, LWB high top)and I instantly saw a possibility I hadn’t thought about, so ripped out some of my previous handywork, so I could change it to a design in the pic I’d found.
    I ensure my van has regular oil & filter changes. When I got it,It’s first 3 years were with GE Capital as a utilities van and the service record was a printout with EVERYTHING that had been done on the van previously.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Andy
    Transits and

Hi Andy

Transits and Sprinters are very similar. One is not better than the other. Either is great.
    You don’t need to re-register the vehicle with the DVLA for insurance. I insure my Sprinter conversion via http://www.campton.co.uk, and have not had to re-register to a campervan. They also insure the vehicle as a can until the conversion is done.

Basically, get the biggest van you can live with. When you are traveling and living in the van, space is precious.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Andy
    Transits and

Hi Andy

Transits and Sprinters are very similar. One is not better than the other. Either is great.
    You don’t need to re-register the vehicle with the DVLA for insurance. I insure my Sprinter conversion via http://www.campton.co.uk, and have not had to re-register to a campervan. They also insure the vehicle as a can until the conversion is done.

Basically, get the biggest van you can live with. When you are traveling and living in the van, space is precious.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Andy
    Transits and

Hi Andy

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Andy
    Transits and

Hi Andy

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.