Planning a Camper Van Conversion

Planning any camper van conversion is essential.  If you don’t you could find yourself undoing work you have already done, wasting time and materials.  You’ll also save yourself more than a few headaches.  By planning you can be sure you know what tasks you have to do, what order to do them in, what materials & tools you’ll need and the legal processes of registering a camper van.

Over the next series of pages well look at each stage of buying, and converting your own campervan.  But before we get started, lets go over some important factors.


One of the most important factors of your conversion will be cost.  You might be building your own campervan, rather than buying one, to save money.  Unless you have endless cash the budget will drive most of the decisions you make with your conversion.

One of the most important things to do now, before you start anything is to work out your budget.  Work out how much money you will need for each part of the process.

Many people ask me “How much does it cost to convert a campervan?”  The simple answer is “Whatever you want.”  You set the budget, and you build your vehicle to that budget.  There is no minimum or maximum cost.  You can have a functioning campervan for nothing, just check the Campervan conversion on a shoestring page.

However, I suspect you’re willing to spend something on your conversion, so lets break things down.

  • Vehicle – You need a base vehicle on which to do the conversion.  If you already have one, great you are already started.  If you don’t then you need to set a budget.  The more you spend, the better the vehicle, so the less you will spend in maintenance.  However expensive vehicles depreciate, whereas cheaper vans do not.  As a guide £500 buys a basic van, £3,000 buys a great used van, £10,000 buys a very new van.
  • Fittings – How are you going to fit-out your vehicle?  If you want all of life’s luxuries then you’ll need to spend a lot of money buying and fitting them.  If you just want a basic seat, bed and cupboard you don’t need to spend very much.  You can spend nothing on fittings if you have what you need already, otherwise you could spend £5,000 on fitting everything, including the kitchen sink.
  • Tools – If you are a DIY nut you probably wont need to buy many tools.  if you have no tools you will have to borrow some, or buy some.  Tools get cheaper every year, so now is a great time to buy some.  The tools page has some great special offers.
  • Legal stuff – If you change your vehicle from a van to a campervan the road authorities might want to inspect it before re-categorising it, which might cost you.  You will also need to insure to vehicle.

Here are some rough costs of different campervan conversion budgets.  But remember, you set the budget.  Spend what you want to spend.

Item / BudgetShoestringSmallMediumBig
Vehicle parts/changes£0£100£300£500
CommentsA budget no-frills vehicleA nice camper for weekends and long tripsPerfect for long term camping, comfortable for bigger groupsThe daddy of conversions.  Live like a king, wherever you like


Have you got the skills needed to convert a campervan?  DIY fans will have no problem.  But if you’re not too handy with a hammer don’t worry, you can still have a great camper.  Just remember jobs like fitting windows are tricky, especially on your own.  Be prepared to ask for help from others, especially friends or family members who have some experience or skills in campervans, caravans, DIY or engineering.  Don’t forget about the forum either, there are lots of helpful people in there!

Workshops, driveways, tools and work spaces

You are going to need somewhere to work on your campervan.  A high-roofed garage is perfect, but very few of us have those.  If you have a high-top vehicle it’s unlikely to fit inside your garage.  So most of us end up working on our vehicles outside,  and normally in the winter, as we prepare a vehicle for summer.  If you are converting your van with it parked on a public road you’ll need to be more prepared than those lucky enough to be able to park their van in their own driveway.

If you have a friend or family member with a big driveway, and preferable a well tooled workshop at the end of it, then your conversion will happen much quicker parked on their driveway.

If you are serious about doing a professional style conversion then consider renting a lockup somewhere.  Professional conversions cost a lot, and the price of a lockup won’t add much to the total price.

Re-classify Your Vehicle

Once you panel van is converted into a camper van, you need to change the classification with your road authority, such as the DVLA.  This is generally straight forward, and brings benefits such as cheaper road tax, insurance, and the ability to travel faster.

Read more about the legalities of changing your vehicle classification.


One last thing to consider before you start buying and converting vehicles is, do you have a suitable driving license to drive the vehicle you intend to make?

Laws differ in each country, but generally bigger vehicles require different categories of driving license.  Check you have the suitable category before buying any vehicle.

In the UK you can drive a Class 4 van (Sprinter, Transit, etc), a mini-bus, or smaller vehicle on a car license.  Class 7 vehicles (i.e. really big vans) can also be driven on a car license, as long as it is ‘not for reward’, i.e making money, and your driving license was issues before 1997.  If after 1997 different rules apply for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.

Interestingly in the UK, many Class 7 vehicles (really big vans) become Class 4 if they are changed into leisure vehicles.  This means less-stringent MOT tests, cheaper Tax and some other benefits.

Do your OWN research.  Check the vehicle and your license before spending any more.  Don’t blame me for anything, I am just trying to help.  🙂

Enjoy your conversion….

  1. Hi I have just recently converted my panel van to a camper van does any one no how much your tax goes down


    1. Hi Rob

      With most vehicles the tax class stays the same. If you have a 3.5 ton van in the UK it will stay at PLG, currently about £230 per year.
      If you have a very big/heavy vehicle like a bus it may change into a different class, as the purpose of the vehicle changes.
      I would recommend contacting the Department of Transport.




  2. Thank you for your helpful article. We are currently also about to rebuild our Toyota Pro 2.0 D Comfort. Therefore, the information about license and legal regulations was really helpful. We should still check that.


  3. trying to find fees ( from DVLA + inspection ) for converting a class 7 into a class 4 not cost of buying parts or fitting MOT £60 unsure on road tax any idea where to find them


    1. I would contact your local DVLA office. They are likely the ones who will do the inspection. They might also be able to give useful info about the process.


  4. my first campervan
    Having looked at campervans for years I have realised it will be a lot cheaper for me to buy and convert a van even if I have pay for some labour on some of the jobs,i have just found this wesite and I hope I can get myself lots of hints and tips to help me along the way staring on what van to but,i’m thinking at the minute of a citroen/fiat lwb type nut looking at others types too I just can’t wait until I can hot the road


  5. Im a newby to camper van life
    I’m desperately looking for some advice. I’m converting a van into a camper to live in and I have a short deadline to sort it out. I have my van driving course in a couple of weeks, so here’s hoping I pass. Providing this goes to plan I will move in in September. I know there are some criteria that I need to meet in order to insure the camper van and this probably depends on the insurer I also need to budget for the insurance. I can’t find helpful information on those two questions.(criteria to meet and cost for new driver) do you have any advice on them or somewhere I can call/ look to find out? (I’m in the UK)Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!


  6. London emmision Zone
    I own a Nissan cargo 1999 which is over 1.025 tones and so is not allowed into London , what I have read and led to believe is if it’s converted and registered as a motor caravan and weighs under 2.5 tons it can go inside the london emission zone without any charges ,can anyone confirm this ?


  7. Ambulance

    Does anyone know the law about leaving my conversion classed as an Ambulance? Free tax discs aside ;O)


  8. minibus seats

    I’m planning to buy a minibus to convert to a motor-home, the van comes with seats which I don’t need. Can I sell them? and to who?

    many thanks in advance for your help.



    1. Generally its possible to
      Generally its possible to sell at least a few of them. is generally the best place.


  9. minibus seats
    I’m planning to buy a minibus to convert to a motor-home, the van comes with seats which I don’t need. Can I sell them? and to who?

    many thanks for your help


  10. I have a lt35 van and want to
    I have a lt35 van and want to convert it to a camper where do i start and i want it looking good and cool in side can any one help


  11. Van Conversion
    Hello, my name is Jonah and I am new to this forum. I am interested in purchasing a 2002 Ford E-150 Cargo Van and living in it full time whilst going to school. I’m not quite sure where to start with the conversion. The van has a steel divider and I am interested in building living quarters that would maximize stealth. I will be using the van to study in. I live in a major US city. Basically I want to start off by insulating it and panelling the walls and ceiling. I also want to install solar powered roof vents with fans. I am not a DIY per say so I would appreciate any advice. I guess my biggest worry right now is bulding proper living/studying quarters, dealing with condensation problems and remaining stealthy. Again I am totally new to this and am choosing this lifestyle in order to further my education. Any… I repeat ANY advice or input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Thankyou for taking the time to read this. Peace.


    1. Hi Jonah
      For maximum stealth

      Hi Jonah

      For maximum stealth I would suggest keeping the steel divider in place. It will make the van look like a regular van from the outside. It will increase security, and keep the back warmer during the winter months.

      I would suggest insulating the van, and then lining it. It will make it a lot nicer inside, especially if you cover the lined walls with carpet. More information is going to appear here on the website soon, so hopefully that will help.


  12. double decker conversion
    hi we are planning to buy a double decker conversion and wondered if anyone can advise us on our license requirements? we know if its older than 30 years you can drive any vehicle on an ordinary license but are there any loop holes we need to be aware of? any help greatly recieved, many thanks.


  13. i want a large campervan to
    i want a large campervan to live in. what would you sugest.


    1. It depends on how big you
      It depends on how big you want the van.
      You can get a long wheel base van such as a Mercedes Sprinter.

      As these as standard vans the parts are reasonably priced. The van isn’t excessively wide and is easy to drive. Ones with bigger engines are fairly quick too.

      If you want something even bigger then consider something like the Mercedes Vario.

      These are bigger vehicles. The main advantage is the width, as they are quite wide. This is great for living in, but can be a problem driving on small roads and can be a problem to park in regular car parks. They also tend to be slower than normal vans.
      You can find many good examples that have been used as buses, with lots of windows.


    2. Large camper .vario
      Hi seen ur ad
      looking for large campervan
      I am selling mercedes vario campervan
      good converison
      my no 07907 610410
      thank you


  14. Changing classification
    Hi there,

    We want to a buy a VW T25 camper van that has been converted but the v5 still shows it as a panel van. The conversion has a fixed bed, fixed cupboards a gas 2 ring hob, electric hook up, water container, lights. It has no sink and no fixed table. Will this be able to have its classification changed from panel van to camper van?




    1. Hi
      According to the DVLA


      According to the DVLA guidelines you will need the sink and table to re-classify the vehicle.
      See the guidelines here:

      Each vehicle is different, and they may re-classify it for you. Why not give your local office a call and see what they say.


  15. National Van Builders June 23, 2010 at 12:07 pm

    Van Conversion
    Van Conversions can get pricey, do your research before diving into this project so that you don’t blow your budget early on.


  16. VW T5
    hi everyone im cheryl and have just brought my first ever van , white T5 with the grand plan of turning into a camper, shelling out for a roof and windows and suitable rear seat for kids, so budget pretty much gone already, so am after any top tips for conversion, nice and cheap. i am now looking at insulation was gonna go for therma fleece sheeps wool. is this a good idea? if there are better products please let me no, i want to be eco friendly but must be warm! thanks i am also after a guide/checklist of what order i should do the work? insulation first or windows etc so would be grateful of any leads, thanks sry for question overload just picked up van today so very excited !!!


  17. Ford Transit
    Can you also advise breakers for second hand units for camper vans


  18. conversation kit for lwb 05 citreon relay
    please does anyone know where to get a camper conversion kit for a citreon relay lwb 05 panel van


  19. could you tell me is it a
    could you tell me is it a legal requirement to have backseat safety belts/lapbelts for children and adults in a campervan.thanks Di.


    1. It’s difficult to say. Same
      It’s difficult to say. Same rules for adults and children. As it falls under MOT testing rules, you really need to consult an MOT tester. Hopefully the following article will help:


  20. Driving licence
    You can upgrade your licence of course, you’ll need a suitable vehicle for the test and then the theory and practical for a class C licence, should cost about £250 in exam fees assuming you pass first time. DVLA website has information on what they consider a suitable vehicle and information on what the tests include, then you can drive anything up to a 7.5T.


    1. driving licences
      i think phil is talking a load of twaddle yes you can upgrade your licence up too 7.5 tons is a c1 licence a c licence enables you to drive any ridgid vehicle on the road
      the fees he quoted were from the days of horse drawn vehicles check it out
      regards tony


  21. The Legal Stuff -vosa
    Please can you tell me what sort of costs are involved in converting a panel van into a camper van when changing classifiction of use or consruction & use.
    I Do understand it depends on size of van but is there a rough idear what vosa will charge.
    Many Thanks


    1. Hi Burt There is normally no
      Hi Burt

      There is normally no cost for changing the classification of a van to ‘Camper Van’.

      See more information here :


  22. fittings
    I have a caravan with full fittings, want to find a buyer, it would be fine as the inside for a campervan conversion any idea? thanks Andy


    1. Your camper van parts
      Hello I am looking for some parts can you please contact me on 07918876584 or [email protected]


  23. Thanks
    Thanks for the information Overland. Hope you have a great trip 🙂


  24. post 1997 driving licences and weights

    I am just about to convert an LDV Convoy and found the information here very useful.

    I would just like to point out though that anybody who passed their test after 1997 is limited to a maximum weight of 3.5t, no exceptions.

    To driver anything higher than this, or even to drive with a trailer, where the total weight of the trailer and vehicle exceed 3.5t, you will need to get a new licence.

    I have done a lot of research into this, as I wanted to drive my parent’s 5.5t campervan, rang the DVLA no less than three times and it was a definitive, no way round it, no more than 3.5t!

    So check your licence before the boys in blue or VOSA checkpoints pick you up, and before you spend thousands on a new van and can’t drive it!

    Good luck to all!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *