New boy on the block – please help!

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself New boy on the block – please help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    Andy P
    Participant

Hello everyone, my name is Andy. I have been looking into getting a campervan for some time now and have decided to take the plunge. However, I am almost entirely ignorant of the steps needed to take a panel van that I can afford to becoming a campervan. I have been reading up on websites, magazines and such like but still cannot decide on the best base vehicle. My insurance company tells me they will cover the van and I know once the van is re registered with the DVLA as a camper I can pursue further campervan insurance. The initial van is simply covered with no problems, but what van? Transit long wheel base high top, Mercedes Sprinter in the same guise, or a Renault? It seems to me, with insurance cost not the primary issue, that “Big Is Best” with a panel van conversion – the more room the better. Or do I have this all wrong?
    Just to muddy the water, the van will be used for week long trips with my dog and I am a man who loves the comforts, so more the merrier and hence the big vans. Any help and advice you can offer me at this embrionic stage will be of great help, and I beg your forgiveness if this is the umpteenth time you have seen such a post with such questions.

Thanks,

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

Really anything that takes
    Really anything that takes your fancy…..But for gawds sake stay away from Ducato’s. They are the pits and will leave you penniless in not monthly, not weekly but DAILY breakdowns. Having said that, if you can find say one with low mileage, about 2 or 3 years old for 50p. might be worth a gamble.
    Transits, Sprinters etc. fine. If you want to stand up in it, buy a high top.

mgroadster
    Participant

Really anything that takes your fancy…..But for gawds sake stay away from Ducato’s. They are the pits and will leave you penniless in not monthly, not weekly but DAILY breakdowns. Having said that, if you can find say one with low mileage, about 2 or 3 years old for 50p. might be worth a gamble.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, mgroadster
    Thanks for your comments. Having once been the proud owner of a small Fiat car in the past, a period when I got to know my local AA recovery man very well, I can say I agree with the complete lack of faith in that brand. However, what route would you go – the Ford or the Mercedes? I hear great things about the Sprinter, being nice to drive and smooth on the long roads. I have always had Pugs or Fords for cars, and guess my choice lies between the Ford and the Merc, so where to go?
    Oh, and look, no pressure. I just cannot decide between the two and am open to any advice upon which would be easier to convert. They seem as good as each other…..

Thanks again, Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, mgroadster
    Thanks for your comments. Having once been the proud owner of a small Fiat car in the past, a period when I got to know my local AA recovery man very well, I can say I agree with the complete lack of faith in that brand. However, what route would you go – the Ford or the Mercedes? I hear great things about the Sprinter, being nice to drive and smooth on the long roads. I have always had Pugs or Fords for cars, and guess my choice lies between the Ford and the Merc, so where to go?
    Oh, and look, no pressure. I just cannot decide between the two and am open to any advice upon which would be easier to convert. They seem as good as each other…..

Thanks again, Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, mgroadster

Thanks again, Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, mgroadster

Thanks again, Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, mgroadster

Thanks again, Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, mgroadster

Thanks again, Andy P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.