New boy on the block – please help!

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself New boy on the block – please help!

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    Andy P
    Participant

Thanks again
    Thank you all for your help so far. Call me dumb, but I had never even considered going to a vehicle auction and checking out the available vans. I think perhaps I have been getting a little bit over excited and need to, as Deb says, not rush. I shall continue to hunt down the van.

-::- Declares In Loud Voice, with thunder in background, “Find That Van!” -::-

Cheers,

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks again
    Thank you all for your help so far. Call me dumb, but I had never even considered going to a vehicle auction and checking out the available vans. I think perhaps I have been getting a little bit over excited and need to, as Deb says, not rush. I shall continue to hunt down the van.

-::- Declares In Loud Voice, with thunder in background, “Find That Van!” -::-

Cheers,

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

I have bought several
    I have bought several vehicles from Auctions in the past, many for re-sale.
    Don’t do it unless you know what your looking for.
    Get there very early and identify anything you may fancy.Most auctions will leave vehicles open for you to take a look, but many of the bigger auctions keep em locked.
    (I used to be on very good terms with the “key man” at my regular auction and always was able to get in them, open the bonnet, start them up etc before the auction and most people turning up).
    If you are unable to do this, ensure that you are by the vehicle when it’s started up, prior to entering “the ring” and some drivers will let you jump in alongside and watch all the dial etc for any tell tale signs.
    When it’s in the hall, those interested in it will flock round it and maybe lift the bonnet etc to check inside the oil cap etc.(If it looks like cappuchino round the inside rim walk away).
    Many auctioneers (although they strongly deny it) will false bid it to try and bump it up, especially if he/she sees some interest.
    I remember years & years ago, I entered a Ford Granada for auction when I was still “green” and when it entered the ring, the auctioneer got the bidding going, and it rose to a price I thought was ok.
    When I went to the office they said “It didn’t sell”. I said I saw the auctioneer taking bids, but they said that all he was doing was trying to create interest in such a big car….My first auction lesson learnt. Over the years I got very savvy as to what goes on and how to operate at an auction be it buying or selling.
    Don’t forget also, that the price you bid upto is also subject to an indemnity fee and a buyers premium, which in some auction halls is tantamount to robbery! Good luck and with that, I’m off to paint the Kitchen units in my camper.

mgroadster
    Participant

I have bought several
    Get there very early and identify anything you may fancy.Most auctions will leave vehicles open for you to take a look, but many of the bigger auctions keep em locked.
    (I used to be on very good terms with the “key man” at my regular auction and always was able to get in them, open the bonnet, start them up etc before the auction and most people turning up).
    If you are unable to do this, ensure that you are by the vehicle when it’s started up, prior to entering “the ring” and some drivers will let you jump in alongside and watch all the dial etc for any tell tale signs.
    When it’s in the hall, those interested in it will flock round it and maybe lift the bonnet etc to check inside the oil cap etc.(If it looks like cappuchino round the inside rim walk away).
    Many auctioneers (although they strongly deny it) will false bid it to try and bump it up, especially if he/she sees some interest.
    I remember years & years ago, I entered a Ford Granada for auction when I was still “green” and when it entered the ring, the auctioneer got the bidding going, and it rose to a price I thought was ok.
    When I went to the office they said “It didn’t sell”. I said I saw the auctioneer taking bids, but they said that all he was doing was trying to create interest in such a big car….My first auction lesson learnt. Over the years I got very savvy as to what goes on and how to operate at an auction be it buying or selling.
    Don’t forget also, that the price you bid upto is also subject to an indemnity fee and a buyers premium, which in some auction halls is tantamount to robbery! Good luck and with that, I’m off to paint the Kitchen units in my camper.

mgroadster
    Participant

I have bought several

mgroadster
    Participant

I have bought several

mgroadster
    Participant

I have bought several

mgroadster
    Participant

I have bought several

mgroadster
    Participant

I have bought several

mgroadster
    Participant

I have bought several

Somerset
    Participant

Auctions can be good.
    Auctions are great if you’re buying an ex-utilities or ex-lease van. I bought my car at auction for a very good price, it meant I got a vehicle a couple years newer than I could get for my money from a dealer, and without having to listen to a salesman! As Mg said, the fees and van VAT add a lot of money to the hammer price, so you need to calculate your ‘hammer price’ accordingly beforehand. The downside seems that many of the auction vans are only upto a few years old, so beyond many of our budgets. BCA and Manheim have good websites. Worth a visit if theres one near you.

Somerset
    Participant

Auctions can be good.
    Auctions are great if you’re buying an ex-utilities or ex-lease van. I bought my car at auction for a very good price, it meant I got a vehicle a couple years newer than I could get for my money from a dealer, and without having to listen to a salesman! As Mg said, the fees and van VAT add a lot of money to the hammer price, so you need to calculate your ‘hammer price’ accordingly beforehand. The downside seems that many of the auction vans are only upto a few years old, so beyond many of our budgets. BCA and Manheim have good websites. Worth a visit if theres one near you.

Somerset
    Participant

Auctions can be good.

Somerset
    Participant

Auctions can be good.

Somerset
    Participant

Auctions can be good.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.