New boy on the block – please help!

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself New boy on the block – please help!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    mgroadster
    Participant

If you were denied a test
    If you were denied a test drive, the vehicle was probably a bit of a sh*tter, with maybe some problems.
    If you intend having mechanical work done at a garage, you’ll need a healthy wallet.
    If you can read, you can be a mechanic, using a Haynes manual.
    I’m very happy with mechanics, but thought I was a numpty when it came to carpentry and DIY, but I even surpassed all my expectations. Never underestimate yourself,I reckon we are all more capable of doing things than we thought.
    If you can get hold of ex utilities vans, they are normally very well looked after mechanically, they don’t bodge but just replace regardless of cost.

mgroadster
    Participant

If you were denied a test drive, the vehicle was probably a bit of a sh*tter, with maybe some problems.
    If you intend having mechanical work done at a garage, you’ll need a healthy wallet.
    I’m very happy with mechanics, but thought I was a numpty when it came to carpentry and DIY, but I even surpassed all my expectations. Never underestimate yourself,I reckon we are all more capable of doing things than we thought.
    If you can get hold of ex utilities vans, they are normally very well looked after mechanically, they don’t bodge but just replace regardless of cost.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Deb
    Participant

I think you did right to walk
    I think you did right to walk away if they won’t let you take it for a test drive.
    I would go for the best van you can buy and do it up cheap,that way my plan anyway,it took me ages to find my van but i went for the best base vehicle i could afford. I bought a transit 03, low mileage. I wanted petrol/lpg and searched gumtree,ebay etc for months,i went to see a few but didn’t like any of them for various reasons,my friend spotted one 30mins away from me and as soon as i saw it i loved it,i was given the keys and told to try it out,he just let us take it out by ourselves ,the bloke selling it seemed very honest and took £500 less than he was asking he even jet washed it and left a bottle of wine in the cab for me.I’ve not had any problems yet and i’ve had it for 2 years. Keep looking and don’t rush to buy one if your not sure,good luck.

Deb
    Participant

I think you did right to walk away if they won’t let you take it for a test drive.
    I would go for the best van you can buy and do it up cheap,that way my plan anyway,it took me ages to find my van but i went for the best base vehicle i could afford. I bought a transit 03, low mileage. I wanted petrol/lpg and searched gumtree,ebay etc for months,i went to see a few but didn’t like any of them for various reasons,my friend spotted one 30mins away from me and as soon as i saw it i loved it,i was given the keys and told to try it out,he just let us take it out by ourselves ,the bloke selling it seemed very honest and took £500 less than he was asking he even jet washed it and left a bottle of wine in the cab for me.I’ve not had any problems yet and i’ve had it for 2 years. Keep looking and don’t rush to buy one if your not sure,good luck.

Deb
    Participant

Deb
    Participant

Deb
    Participant

Deb
    Participant

Deb
    Participant

Deb
    Participant

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, MGRoadster and Deb
    Thanks guys. I did wonder when I could not get a test drive – I had all the documents with me and the old alarm bells just went off. You interest me with the mention of ex utilities vans – are you thinking of BT, Post office, British Gas and so on? Where is the best place to source such a van? I have had no luck on the net searching for such and feel a bit of a fool to ask. All I seem to have found is the normal dealer and private sale vans. An ex utilities van begins to sound a good bet.
    I am off to explore the web site you mention..

Thanks again,

Andy P.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.