Free camping in the New Forest
Try the Avon Forest Country Park on the A31 outside Ringwood. Go past Ringwood towards Poole, under the Ashley Heath Roundabout and take the next roundabout left opposite a ‘Little Chef’ (park is signposted). There are toilets/water and it is quiet.
Free camping near Christchurch
A Lorry park on the outskirts of Christchurch (It’s possible this site doesn’t exist anymore).
Free camping near Lymington
From Lymington follow road to Beaulieu. Forestry commission car park on left (Bull Hill). Several other places in area, if you don’t mind nosy cows.
Free camping on the Isle of Wight
Parking on the coast in the daytime has high parking charges. There are several places inland for overnight.
- Next to Blackgang Chine there is a National Trust car park.
- South of Bembridge follow signs to Culver Down. There is a width restriction.
- There are several National Trust car parks suitable for overnight with good views.
Free camping on Hayling Island
There are three spots within yards of the bridge to Hayling Island which are occasionally used by motorhomes. None of these is official, or could be described as quiet, but at least you’ll have a nice view in the morning! (Watch out for the tide, especially if it’s a really high spring tide)
- On the mainland side of the bridge there’s a public car park shared with the Ship pub, next to the slipway (public loos too).
- Turn left immediately after crossing the bridge towards Northney marina. Parking for one or two vans only on seaside of road after about 100 meters.
- Continue about 50 meters further on the main road after the turn to (2). There’s a not too obvious turn on the right-signed ‘Hayling Billy Trail’. There’s a disused bit of road here, opposite the garage and screened from the main road a bit by trees. And if you carry on down the main road another half mile there’s a track next to the Esso garage which leads to some parking and a slipway. Rather quieter, but busy if it’s windy because of wind- and kitesurfers.
Free camping in Winchester
The town coach park in front of The Winchester Hotel, NW of centre. Metered parking. No overnight charge after 6. Only 5 minutes walk to City Centre and 2 minutes to Library with email access.
Free camping in Fleet
- From M3 Junction 5, take the A287 to the south of Fleet and turn left at the roundabout onto the B3013. Head down Beacon Hill and turn right at the Tweaseldown pub. Head along this road, passed the Tweaseldown racecourse, for about half a mile and there is a clearing on the left with hardstanding suitable for motorcaravans. However the entrance is on a slope and is rutted, so take care.
- Another spot is to go past this one for another half a mile and there is a small car park on the right, but only suitable for small or medium size camper vans and motorhomes.
The surrounding area is Ministry of Defence property with access to the public and is great for walking, running and mountain biking, but steer clear of any military exercises.