Wiring system advice

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Wiring system advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    skiing1005
    Participant

Hello all
    I am just about to order the wiring for our camper van..I could do with a bit of advice on what cables to get and good website to get it. Looking for cable for the whole 12volt system in the van, some led lights in the ceiling and to wire up 12volt sockets etc.
    Any advice and links would be great help. Thank you
    Oh also about the lights, how can I go about getting the right ‘in series’? lighting system.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    For engine to leisure

Hi

For engine to leisure battery you need 16mm2 cable.
    For an electric fridge something like 6mm2 cable.
    12v lights I’d use 2.5mm2 cable.
    For 12v sockets for short distances 2.5mm2, for long distances 4mm2.

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/ are good as is eBay if you want large amounts of cable.

Not sure what you mean by ‘in series’. Can you give any more info?

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    For engine to leisure

Hi

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/ are good as is eBay if you want large amounts of cable.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    For engine to leisure

Hi

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    For engine to leisure

Hi

skiing1005
    Participant

Great thanks for help
    Great thanks for help.. When I says series, I mean if I had 4 led lights in ceiling, they don’t all have their own separate wire feeding into the back of my pms3 unit do they? Or do they join together to feed one socket?

skiing1005
    Participant

Great thanks for help
    Great thanks for help.. When I says series, I mean if I had 4 led lights in ceiling, they don’t all have their own separate wire feeding into the back of my pms3 unit do they? Or do they join together to feed one socket?

skiing1005
    Participant

Great thanks for help

skiing1005
    Participant

Great thanks for help

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi.
    If the lights are 12v,

Hi.
    If the lights are 12v, which they probably are, then you have to wire them in parallel. In series would mean they share the voltage (12v divide by 4 = 3v per light, which is too little).
    To wire in parallel you don’t have to have a wire to the source for each light. You can use 1 main feed with a block on the end, and wire each light into the block.
    LED lights have a very low power rating, so you can use 2.5mm wire for all of the lights, probably even 1.5mm2 wire.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi.
    If the lights are 12v,

Hi.
    If the lights are 12v, which they probably are, then you have to wire them in parallel. In series would mean they share the voltage (12v divide by 4 = 3v per light, which is too little).
    To wire in parallel you don’t have to have a wire to the source for each light. You can use 1 main feed with a block on the end, and wire each light into the block.
    LED lights have a very low power rating, so you can use 2.5mm wire for all of the lights, probably even 1.5mm2 wire.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi.
    If the lights are 12v,

Hi.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi.
    If the lights are 12v,

Hi.

skiing1005
    Participant

hi again
    Sounds good…Can you send us a link of where I can the stuff I need..I basically have 4 led lights . 2 switches one for 2 lights…Is this a simple setup to do ?

Is there somewhere on the net that has a good diagram for this.

Sorry about the basic questions, always learning!

skiing1005
    Participant

hi again
    Sounds good…Can you send us a link of where I can the stuff I need..I basically have 4 led lights . 2 switches one for 2 lights…Is this a simple setup to do ?

Is there somewhere on the net that has a good diagram for this.

Sorry about the basic questions, always learning!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.