what am i doing reading this forum ? !

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions what am i doing reading this forum ? !

• This topic has 70 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Deb.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Darren
    Keymaster

“But it means the cable would
    “But it means the cable would feed through a very slightly open window,will sites let you do that ?”
    Yes, they should be fine about that.

“I’m thinking of keeping the leisure battery behind the driver seat,is this ok ?”
    Yes, that’s OK. It should really be vented to the outside, as that battery gives off gas when it charges, but it’s generally OK. Make sure it is secure. If you have to brake hard, or have an incident you do not want the battery coming loose.

“I’ve seen a cigarette lighter plug with crocodile clips on so that would be easy to connect to the battery the problem being the cable isn’t long enough so an extension with the plugs on would be needed,is it safe to use the two together?”
    Yes not problem.

“Is it safe to charge the leisure battery while the cool box is running off it?”
    Almost certainly. The charger will give off 14.4 volts, rather than 12.8 volts, like the battery. Just make sure the coolbox works with 14.4 volts. It probably will, as that is what the alternator of the engine gives off.

You are keeping things fairly simple. Electrics can become really complicated.

Do you have a coolbox model in mind? I can look up the rating if you do.

I’ll take a look at the spam issue.

Deb
    Participant

i already have the cool
    i already have the cool box,it’s a Campingaz 12v Electric Cool Box – Powerbox 36L Classic,i think this is the same model,i was just going by the picture online.
    I was a bit worried about the battery not being vented but i asked a friend about his pro conversion and he said his isn’t vented which didn’t sound right to me. I think when i’m sure where everything will go then i will keep the leisure battery in a secure box under the bed,that way i can put a vent to the side of the van.
    What size leisure battery would you recommend ?
    I remember seeing a battery box with terminals fitted to the lid along with the cigarette lighter plug,it seemed a very safe way to me,however i cant seem to trace it now,though on reflection while typing i could probably rig it up with the system i was thinking of using and save money !

Vixen i think it’s best to ask questions no matter how daft if it makes things safe,i will try to ask all the daft questions so you can save your dignity ! I also find that being a girl makes it ok as we are not expected to know about such things. I haven’t told anyone on here that i used to off road 4×4’s so i’m a bit used to fixing things and playing about with engines etc but for some reason working on my transit scares me !

Deb
    Participant

i already have the cool
    i already have the cool box,it’s a Campingaz 12v Electric Cool Box – Powerbox 36L Classic,i think this is the same model,i was just going by the picture online.
    I was a bit worried about the battery not being vented but i asked a friend about his pro conversion and he said his isn’t vented which didn’t sound right to me. I think when i’m sure where everything will go then i will keep the leisure battery in a secure box under the bed,that way i can put a vent to the side of the van.
    I remember seeing a battery box with terminals fitted to the lid along with the cigarette lighter plug,it seemed a very safe way to me,however i cant seem to trace it now,though on reflection while typing i could probably rig it up with the system i was thinking of using and save money !

Vixen i think it’s best to ask questions no matter how daft if it makes things safe,i will try to ask all the daft questions so you can save your dignity ! I also find that being a girl makes it ok as we are not expected to know about such things. I haven’t told anyone on here that i used to off road 4×4’s so i’m a bit used to fixing things and playing about with engines etc but for some reason working on my transit scares me !

Deb
    Participant

i already have the cool

Deb
    Participant

i already have the cool

Deb
    Participant

i already have the cool

Darren
    Keymaster

A lot of vehicles don’t vent
    A lot of vehicles don’t vent the battery, so don’t worry about it too much.

With a 110Ah battery that coolbox would last about 3 days.
    I’d recommend a 110Ah. Makes aren’t so important. One that size will cost about £90.

I like to make my own systems when possible. It saves money, gives one a better understanding of what’s going on, and allows one to taylor it a bit to needs.

Darren
    Keymaster

I’d recommend a 110Ah. Makes aren’t so important. One that size will cost about £90.

I like to make my own systems when possible. It saves money, gives one a better understanding of what’s going on, and allows one to taylor it a bit to needs.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Deb
    Participant

Just bought the recycled
    Just bought the recycled plastic insulation from B&Q,only got two rolls for now just to see how i get on with it and it was a little bit more expensive than i thought,should be able to start fitting that on thursday. I also bought a roll of silver thermawrap insulation as i thought i could make a winscreen/window cover to keep the chill out. Hope to get leisure battery and and electrics on saturday and spend the weekend sorting the van.

Deb
    Participant

Just bought the recycled
    Just bought the recycled plastic insulation from B&Q,only got two rolls for now just to see how i get on with it and it was a little bit more expensive than i thought,should be able to start fitting that on thursday. I also bought a roll of silver thermawrap insulation as i thought i could make a winscreen/window cover to keep the chill out. Hope to get leisure battery and and electrics on saturday and spend the weekend sorting the van.

Deb
    Participant

Just bought the recycled

Deb
    Participant

Just bought the recycled

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.