what am i doing reading this forum ? !

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions what am i doing reading this forum ? !

• This topic has 70 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Deb.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Deb
    Participant

I was sat here reading some very interesting stuff on this site earlier on,some of the stuff i don’t need to know but it was making good reading when i thought “I should be out there doing something instead of reading” So i went out and started doing stuff thanks to this site giving me the motivation. So i have moved the spare wheel from being bolted inside the back of the van where it was taking up too much space,its sat under the R&R bed for now but will hopefully fit behind the passenger seat when i have removed the bulkhead, i say hopefully as my wheels are huge. So i started work on the kitchen,my sink is already sat on a home made unit so i’ve cut it to fit against a back door,i had forgotten how much fun power tools can be ! Then i had an “oh s**t” moment when it looked like the bed wouldn’t fit flat with the sink in situ so i sat and sulked for a few minutes and tried to put the bed flat…..IT FITS !!!! I just need to make new sides on the kitchen unit that open and make it look pretty. The stand i bought for the cooker won’t fit so i will have to make a unit. And find somewhere for the fridge. I was thinking of having windows in the back doors but while sat in the van wondering where things will fit i was thinking i can make use of the recess in the doors,insulate behind the ply,cover ply,screw shelves on for plate rack etc. ramble over (for now)

vixen_fix
    Participant

I must say I find your
    I must say I find your rambles inspiring! I am going to find myself in the exact same boat and your questions are as ‘daft’ as mine so thank you so making it normal! (I wouldn’t say they’re daft anyhu 😀 ) I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice, however, I wish you all the best and will read intently on your acheivements.

vixen_fix
    Participant

I must say I find your
    I must say I find your rambles inspiring! I am going to find myself in the exact same boat and your questions are as ‘daft’ as mine so thank you so making it normal! (I wouldn’t say they’re daft anyhu 😀 ) I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice, however, I wish you all the best and will read intently on your acheivements.

vixen_fix
    Participant

I must say I find your

vixen_fix
    Participant

I must say I find your

vixen_fix
    Participant

I must say I find your

Deb
    Participant

another ramble
    electrics …..a quick,easy,safe way needed.
    I was thinking buy leisure battery,charge it at home,can then be used to run cool box,any idea how long the battery would last for ?
    If i then buy tent hook up with 4 plugs i can charge the leisure battery,mobile phone,camera,run laptop ? But it means the cable would feed through a very slightly open window,will sites let you do that ? I’ve never used hook up before.
    I’m thinking of keeping the leisure battery behind the driver seat,is this ok ?
    I’ve seen a cigarette lighter plug with crocodile clips on so that would be easy to connect to the battery the problem being the cable isn’t long enough so an extension with the plugs on would be needed,is it safe to use the two together?
    Is it safe to charge the leisure battery while the cool box is running off it?
    Am i making things complicated for myself!
    Sorry if i have asked some daft questions, i just don’t want to take chances.

I will post links of the items i am thinking of using in case i have explained it all badly ! Well i was going to post links but it wont let me,says something about spam detected but im a vegetarian !
    thank you for listening !

Deb
    Participant

another ramble
    I was thinking buy leisure battery,charge it at home,can then be used to run cool box,any idea how long the battery would last for ?
    If i then buy tent hook up with 4 plugs i can charge the leisure battery,mobile phone,camera,run laptop ? But it means the cable would feed through a very slightly open window,will sites let you do that ? I’ve never used hook up before.
    I’ve seen a cigarette lighter plug with crocodile clips on so that would be easy to connect to the battery the problem being the cable isn’t long enough so an extension with the plugs on would be needed,is it safe to use the two together?

I will post links of the items i am thinking of using in case i have explained it all badly ! Well i was going to post links but it wont let me,says something about spam detected but im a vegetarian !

Deb
    Participant

another ramble

Deb
    Participant

another ramble

Deb
    Participant

another ramble

Darren
    Keymaster

“But it means the cable would
    “But it means the cable would feed through a very slightly open window,will sites let you do that ?”
    Yes, they should be fine about that.

“I’m thinking of keeping the leisure battery behind the driver seat,is this ok ?”
    Yes, that’s OK. It should really be vented to the outside, as that battery gives off gas when it charges, but it’s generally OK. Make sure it is secure. If you have to brake hard, or have an incident you do not want the battery coming loose.

“I’ve seen a cigarette lighter plug with crocodile clips on so that would be easy to connect to the battery the problem being the cable isn’t long enough so an extension with the plugs on would be needed,is it safe to use the two together?”
    Yes not problem.

“Is it safe to charge the leisure battery while the cool box is running off it?”
    Almost certainly. The charger will give off 14.4 volts, rather than 12.8 volts, like the battery. Just make sure the coolbox works with 14.4 volts. It probably will, as that is what the alternator of the engine gives off.

You are keeping things fairly simple. Electrics can become really complicated.

Do you have a coolbox model in mind? I can look up the rating if you do.

I’ll take a look at the spam issue.

Darren
    Keymaster

“But it means the cable would feed through a very slightly open window,will sites let you do that ?”

“I’m thinking of keeping the leisure battery behind the driver seat,is this ok ?”
    Yes, that’s OK. It should really be vented to the outside, as that battery gives off gas when it charges, but it’s generally OK. Make sure it is secure. If you have to brake hard, or have an incident you do not want the battery coming loose.

“I’ve seen a cigarette lighter plug with crocodile clips on so that would be easy to connect to the battery the problem being the cable isn’t long enough so an extension with the plugs on would be needed,is it safe to use the two together?”
    Yes not problem.

“Is it safe to charge the leisure battery while the cool box is running off it?”
    Almost certainly. The charger will give off 14.4 volts, rather than 12.8 volts, like the battery. Just make sure the coolbox works with 14.4 volts. It probably will, as that is what the alternator of the engine gives off.

Darren
    Keymaster

Yes not problem.

Darren
    Keymaster

Yes not problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.