VAN ON FIRE!!!!

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions VAN ON FIRE!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Natalie
    Participant

Got mine in Lidl – £7.99,
    Got mine in Lidl – £7.99, went in for cider….

Natalie
    Participant

Natalie
    Participant

Natalie
    Participant

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too
    I was just about to do my newbie hello bit when I saw this thread. My previous van got turned into a small cube yesterday. As usual I’d left everything to the last minute and had to get up early to remove what I wanted to keep, which included the leisure battery, wiring and relay. None of this was fitted by myself so during my preliminary investigation (ie before disconnecting any battery terminals) I moved a couple of wires on the relay to see how it was attached to the bodywork. I don’t really know what happened but I’m assuming the uninsulated spade connectors touched. Next thing I know is the insulation on one of the wires going through the bulkhead has started to melt and making A LOT of smoke. Luckily I was still half asleep, if I had all my senses I wouldn’t have instinctively yanked the wires off the relay and burnt 2 fingers. The van and house would have gone as well. SOOO easy for it to go badly wrong!!!! I’ll never use connectors without push over insulation in my new conversion. While on the subject, the person who wired the van originally used blue wire for absolutely everything. No other colour in the van at all. Anywhere.

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too
    I was just about to do my newbie hello bit when I saw this thread. My previous van got turned into a small cube yesterday. As usual I’d left everything to the last minute and had to get up early to remove what I wanted to keep, which included the leisure battery, wiring and relay. None of this was fitted by myself so during my preliminary investigation (ie before disconnecting any battery terminals) I moved a couple of wires on the relay to see how it was attached to the bodywork. I don’t really know what happened but I’m assuming the uninsulated spade connectors touched. Next thing I know is the insulation on one of the wires going through the bulkhead has started to melt and making A LOT of smoke. Luckily I was still half asleep, if I had all my senses I wouldn’t have instinctively yanked the wires off the relay and burnt 2 fingers. The van and house would have gone as well. SOOO easy for it to go badly wrong!!!! I’ll never use connectors without push over insulation in my new conversion. While on the subject, the person who wired the van originally used blue wire for absolutely everything. No other colour in the van at all. Anywhere.

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too

talktojason1
    Participant

I smoke too

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

In my own situation re my van
    In my own situation re my van burning (as previously posted) 2 things will come out off this good for me , 1>i”ll know it is wired “new” and properly ,and 2>i”ll, having done the work and tested it myself so, in any subsequent elec .prob i”m in a much better “place” , to diagnose and repair,(silver lining and all that…why did i have 2 let my bus burn to get to this point??? DOH !)best wishes , Jason.

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

In my own situation re my van
    In my own situation re my van burning (as previously posted) 2 things will come out off this good for me , 1>i”ll know it is wired “new” and properly ,and 2>i”ll, having done the work and tested it myself so, in any subsequent elec .prob i”m in a much better “place” , to diagnose and repair,(silver lining and all that…why did i have 2 let my bus burn to get to this point??? DOH !)best wishes , Jason.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.