Campervan Electricals – NEEDED: Hints, Tips, Products and Advice

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Campervan Electricals – NEEDED: Hints, Tips, Products and Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    lazarus
    Participant

sounds like you didn’t have a
    sounds like you didn’t have a fuse in your split charge setup or if you did it was rated higher than your relay. also your description makes it sound like your relay wasn’t switching via the alternator signal feed but just hooked to the ignition so as soon as you turn the key the relay is been closed before the engine is started, that could give you trouble. I have managed to burn out a relay once before but that was going in the opposite direction (flat main (had been weakening for a couple of weeks) and full leisure) jumped the relay to try and feed power back to the main to get it started, i can tell you for nothing it takes more than 80amp to start my van :0

still sounds odd that you managed to melt a relay. my house mate regularly runs the leisure battery in her van to the point where it cant drive the head unit connected to it, but never has issues starting or current spikes capable of melting relays.
    The set up in her van is just a cheap 30amp voltage sensing relay from ebay. even with the battery flat and the head unit and amp turned on its not pulling close to 30 amp with the engine started.

lazarus
    Participant

sounds like you didn’t have a fuse in your split charge setup or if you did it was rated higher than your relay. also your description makes it sound like your relay wasn’t switching via the alternator signal feed but just hooked to the ignition so as soon as you turn the key the relay is been closed before the engine is started, that could give you trouble. I have managed to burn out a relay once before but that was going in the opposite direction (flat main (had been weakening for a couple of weeks) and full leisure) jumped the relay to try and feed power back to the main to get it started, i can tell you for nothing it takes more than 80amp to start my van :0

still sounds odd that you managed to melt a relay. my house mate regularly runs the leisure battery in her van to the point where it cant drive the head unit connected to it, but never has issues starting or current spikes capable of melting relays.
    The set up in her van is just a cheap 30amp voltage sensing relay from ebay. even with the battery flat and the head unit and amp turned on its not pulling close to 30 amp with the engine started.

lazarus
    Participant

lazarus
    Participant

lazarus
    Participant

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires
    thanks Mg, what”s happened ? i done a complete loom for my Z1R1000 bike in the 90″s and getting wiring was a matter of calling whatever retail outlet i chose, expect it”s because practically no one does their own thing re their own vehicle anymore.I read in a court case report (American)that the Ford Motor Co legal rep when cross examined, agreed that the Co overcomplicated deliberately, their vehicles elec/electronic systems to prevent owners attempting their own repairs, so-far-so-not-good, says me! if i can”t repair it , i don”t want to own it is my daily MANTRA ,>>>CHANT AFTER ME EVERYONE…..

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires
    thanks Mg, what”s happened ? i done a complete loom for my Z1R1000 bike in the 90″s and getting wiring was a matter of calling whatever retail outlet i chose, expect it”s because practically no one does their own thing re their own vehicle anymore.I read in a court case report (American)that the Ford Motor Co legal rep when cross examined, agreed that the Co overcomplicated deliberately, their vehicles elec/electronic systems to prevent owners attempting their own repairs, so-far-so-not-good, says me! if i can”t repair it , i don”t want to own it is my daily MANTRA ,>>>CHANT AFTER ME EVERYONE…..

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires

twinwebber16001972
    Participant

wires

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.