Campervan Electricals – NEEDED: Hints, Tips, Products and Advice

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Campervan Electricals – NEEDED: Hints, Tips, Products and Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Ste_Mulv
    Participant

Hi there,

I am starting to design my new campervan conversion, and could do with some advice and help! I am an electrical design engineer as a day job, so although I am comfortable with my ability to design the project, before I begin I would like to find out what the “normal” method for installing electrical systems in campervans is, so that I can design around the limitations of the products readily available.

The reason for my interest is in the electrical side to start with, as I am aiming to have a static PC installed as well as lots of other features such as iPod/iPad docs as well as a screen for movies on cold nights. As a general rule, I think the general demand for power inside vans is increasing, so it makes sense to me to design an advanced system now, to avoid annoying upgrades later.

At university, I drove a T25, but that van was sadly lost to a fire. The fire was caused by an electrical fault due to poor installation. To make things worse, I was away taking the Scouts on camp (I am a scout leader) when the fire struck and although I was lucky, the consequences could have been a lot worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve

mgroadster
    Participant

The only electrics I’m going
    The only electrics I’m going to install are mains for when using sites.
    16a input socket, RCD protected garage unit with 16a & 6a MCBs.then distributed in the van but for ease all sockets& switches will be on one side. I work in an electrical wholesalers and know more sparkies than you can shake a stick at, who will do the work for me….

mgroadster
    Participant

16a input socket, RCD protected garage unit with 16a & 6a MCBs.then distributed in the van but for ease all sockets& switches will be on one side. I work in an electrical wholesalers and know more sparkies than you can shake a stick at, who will do the work for me….

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Ste_Mulv
    Participant

How about the 12v Side
    Hi Mgroadster,

What are you planning on doing for your 12v side? what relay and all the other equipment you are using?

Is it a standard to have a 16A connection at sites?

Ste

Ste_Mulv
    Participant

How about the 12v Side
    Hi Mgroadster,

What are you planning on doing for your 12v side? what relay and all the other equipment you are using?

Ste

Ste_Mulv
    Participant

How about the 12v Side
    Hi Mgroadster,

Ste

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.