Simple charging of leisure battery

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Simple charging of leisure battery

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Si
    How much smaller is the

Hi Si

How much smaller is the terminal than the 16mm cable? If it’s only a little then trim some of the cable down before pushing into the terminal. If it’s a big difference you’ll need to find someway of reducing the cable. Maybe using a terminal block then down to a smaller wire. You could solder a smaller wire onto the bigger one, then tape it up.
    Using the 16mm cable is still important as it means more power will travel for a longer period.

Don’t add any sort of earth to the relay. It should be the positive only. The earth/negative terminal of your leisure battery should connect to the engine battery negative/earth terminal, or the chassis with a good connection.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Si
    How much smaller is the

Hi Si

How much smaller is the terminal than the 16mm cable? If it’s only a little then trim some of the cable down before pushing into the terminal. If it’s a big difference you’ll need to find someway of reducing the cable. Maybe using a terminal block then down to a smaller wire. You could solder a smaller wire onto the bigger one, then tape it up.
    Using the 16mm cable is still important as it means more power will travel for a longer period.

Don’t add any sort of earth to the relay. It should be the positive only. The earth/negative terminal of your leisure battery should connect to the engine battery negative/earth terminal, or the chassis with a good connection.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Si
    How much smaller is the

Hi Si

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Si
    How much smaller is the

Hi Si

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Hi Darren.
    The relay takes

Hi Darren.
    The relay takes 3mm cable. I have some 4mm and can’t get that in! Surely if I connect a smaller cable to the 16mm it won’t carry the same load so therefore could just use a small cable for the whole distance?!
    What size cable should I use for the earth? 4mm?

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Hi Darren.
    The relay takes

Hi Darren.
    The relay takes 3mm cable. I have some 4mm and can’t get that in! Surely if I connect a smaller cable to the 16mm it won’t carry the same load so therefore could just use a small cable for the whole distance?!

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Hi Darren.
    The relay takes

Hi Darren.

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Hi Darren.
    The relay takes

Hi Darren.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Si
    By using the 16mm you

Hi Si

By using the 16mm you will carry more power for a longer period. If you use the 3mm for the whole run you wont get as much power. I would connect the 3mm to the 16mm just before the relay.

Use the 16mm for the earth.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Si
    By using the 16mm you

Hi Si

By using the 16mm you will carry more power for a longer period. If you use the 3mm for the whole run you wont get as much power. I would connect the 3mm to the 16mm just before the relay.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Si
    By using the 16mm you

Hi Si

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Si
    By using the 16mm you

Hi Si

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Job done. I connected it all
    Job done. I connected it all up the other day and I think all is working ok!
    Thanks for all help given.

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.