Simple charging of leisure battery

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Simple charging of leisure battery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Si’s Primastar
    Participant

I have a Primastar so the vans battery is under the passenger footwell, accessed by lifting up floor mat.
    Is it possible to have just 1 lead which i can run from leisure battery to vans battery?
    Was thinking of having leisure battery in the back and running a lead under the passenger footwell and just lifting the mat and connecting to vans battery when on longer journeys so i would have some power for overnight stops?!
    Sorry if this is a simple question but i am an absolute novice when it comes to electrics!
    Cheers

Darren
    Keymaster

You can yes. However It is
    You can yes. However It is worth taking the little extra effort to have the wire permanently installed. You don’t want to have to connect the wire when you are going on long journeys. Buy a relay and a leisure battery and have them permanently installed. I assume you are converting your van into a campervan?

Get a relay like this one. It requires fewer wires than the old type:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CHARGE-RELAY-12V-30AMP-INTELLIGENT-SELF-SWITCHING-/110874947821?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item19d0a970ed

Get a leisure battery as well. 110Ah is the biggest and best.

Use 10mm2 or 16mm2 cable to connect the batteries together. You’ll probably need 10mm2 to fit that relay.

Once you connect it up you’ll always have a charing leisure battery, ready for when you need it.

Darren
    Keymaster

You can yes. However It is worth taking the little extra effort to have the wire permanently installed. You don’t want to have to connect the wire when you are going on long journeys. Buy a relay and a leisure battery and have them permanently installed. I assume you are converting your van into a campervan?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CHARGE-RELAY-12V-30AMP-INTELLIGENT-SELF-SWITCHING-/110874947821?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item19d0a970ed

Use 10mm2 or 16mm2 cable to connect the batteries together. You’ll probably need 10mm2 to fit that relay.

Once you connect it up you’ll always have a charing leisure battery, ready for when you need it.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Cheers Darren. Think I will
    Cheers Darren. Think I will do it as you say. Will probably get my sparky friend to help! I just have a couple of questions I hope you will be able to help with – Do I need to fuse the leisure battery? How long does the battery last – will I be able to run a small fridge constantly if driving for approx 1-2hrs a day? Cheers

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Cheers Darren. Think I will do it as you say. Will probably get my sparky friend to help! I just have a couple of questions I hope you will be able to help with – Do I need to fuse the leisure battery? How long does the battery last – will I be able to run a small fridge constantly if driving for approx 1-2hrs a day? Cheers

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

Yes, add a fuse between the
    Yes, add a fuse between the batteries (100 amp). Then run a cable from the leisure battery to a fuse box. Then run your 12v appliances from the fuse box. These fuse boxes are good:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-WAY-STANDARD-BLADE-FUSE-BOX-LID-COVER-12V-326-/270734410766?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0907440e

A 110ah battery has a lot of power. I have a Waeco CR50 fridge which lasts 3 days of a 110ah battery. 1 -2 hours of driving will add about 50% of the charge back into the battery. 4 hours will fully charge it typically.
    My fridge was expensive, £400+. Cheaper ones use more power.

Darren
    Keymaster

Yes, add a fuse between the batteries (100 amp). Then run a cable from the leisure battery to a fuse box. Then run your 12v appliances from the fuse box. These fuse boxes are good:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-WAY-STANDARD-BLADE-FUSE-BOX-LID-COVER-12V-326-/270734410766?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0907440e

A 110ah battery has a lot of power. I have a Waeco CR50 fridge which lasts 3 days of a 110ah battery. 1 -2 hours of driving will add about 50% of the charge back into the battery. 4 hours will fully charge it typically.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Thanks Darren. I already have
    Thanks Darren. I already have a small fridge which I was hoping to use. It has 12v lighter adapter but I was going to run it off a 240v socket. The fridge is 12v 60 watt so I hope a 110ah battery will keep it running for a fair while!?
    With the 12v fuse box you recommend, how do i get from this to a 240v socket?
    Also what cable from leisure battery to fuse?
    Is this setup correct –
    Van battery – split charge relay – 16mm2 cable – 100amp fuse(can you reccomend?) – 16mm2 cable – leisure battery – ???? – 12v fuse box – ???? – 240v socket.
    Thanks again for your time. Hope to get sorted in the next few weeks then set off somewhere hot!

Si’s Primastar
    Participant

Thanks Darren. I already have
    Thanks Darren. I already have a small fridge which I was hoping to use. It has 12v lighter adapter but I was going to run it off a 240v socket. The fridge is 12v 60 watt so I hope a 110ah battery will keep it running for a fair while!?
    With the 12v fuse box you recommend, how do i get from this to a 240v socket?
    Also what cable from leisure battery to fuse?
    Is this setup correct –
    Van battery – split charge relay – 16mm2 cable – 100amp fuse(can you reccomend?) – 16mm2 cable – leisure battery – ???? – 12v fuse box – ???? – 240v socket.
    Thanks again for your time. Hope to get sorted in the next few weeks then set off somewhere hot!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.