help noob buying camper van for summer

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van help noob buying camper van for summer

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Andy P
    Participant

Engine checks
    Hiya mithcol.

Darren has given a great list of checks, but I would like to add one more. When you first view a vehicle, check the engine temperature. I once bought a second hand car that was a devil to start from cold and the seller had pre warmed the car up and it seemed to start great when I inspected it. Always be suspicious of viewing a motor that is all warm and toasty – you want to see it start from cold. I have been known to be sneaky and turn up early to view a car, just to see if it is being warmed up ready for me to view. Also, if you want to drive for any great distance, and especially if there is more than one driver, then check the seats are adjustable and comfy. I know it sounds obvious, but the best motor in the world is a heap of rubbish if it gives you back ache……..

Andy P
    Participant

Oh, and another thing
    Another couple of thoughts occured to me. If the van you are after is a front wheel drive, always get into a big, open carpark and drive about slowly at full lock to the left, then the right – any problems with power steering and front drive shafts result in knocking noises or strange feedback through the steering wheel. Avoid such problems, as they cost lots to repair.
    Also, on a rear wheel drive with manual gearbox, put the handbrake on and go through the process of pulling away as normal, not letting the engine stall and not actually moving off. The act of trying should make the vehicle squat down on the suspension. I have found this tests both the clutch for slip and the handbrake for grip. Anyway, hope these help.

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Oh, and another thing
    Another couple of thoughts occured to me. If the van you are after is a front wheel drive, always get into a big, open carpark and drive about slowly at full lock to the left, then the right – any problems with power steering and front drive shafts result in knocking noises or strange feedback through the steering wheel. Avoid such problems, as they cost lots to repair.
    Also, on a rear wheel drive with manual gearbox, put the handbrake on and go through the process of pulling away as normal, not letting the engine stall and not actually moving off. The act of trying should make the vehicle squat down on the suspension. I have found this tests both the clutch for slip and the handbrake for grip. Anyway, hope these help.

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Oh, and another thing

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Oh, and another thing

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Oh, and another thing

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

AH, must just say
    Sorry to be so forgetfull, but I remember being caught out on an exhaust system going and failing on me. When you check out your cold engine van, be sure to check out the exhaust manifold, and be sure to check the exhaust system. A friend of mine always used a cloth to cover the end of the exhaust and listen for escaping exhaust gases under the vehicle. Of course, all of this advice is rendered defunct if you can take a mate who has experience of looking at motors…..

Lots of luck,

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

AH, must just say
    Sorry to be so forgetfull, but I remember being caught out on an exhaust system going and failing on me. When you check out your cold engine van, be sure to check out the exhaust manifold, and be sure to check the exhaust system. A friend of mine always used a cloth to cover the end of the exhaust and listen for escaping exhaust gases under the vehicle. Of course, all of this advice is rendered defunct if you can take a mate who has experience of looking at motors…..

Lots of luck,

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

AH, must just say

Lots of luck,

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

AH, must just say

Lots of luck,

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

AH, must just say

Lots of luck,

Andy P.

Anonymous

Thanks Andy,
    all that sounds

Thanks Andy,

all that sounds like a hassle, maybe I should consider renting?

Anonymous

Thanks Andy,
    all that sounds

Thanks Andy,

Anonymous

Thanks Andy,
    all that sounds

Thanks Andy,

Anonymous

Thanks Andy,
    all that sounds

Thanks Andy,

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.