help noob buying camper van for summer

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van help noob buying camper van for summer

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Darren
    Keymaster

Regarding the engine:
    – Ask

Regarding the engine:
    – Ask when it was lasted serviced. Look at the documentation. If there is none pull the dipstick out. If the oil is clear like Olive oil it has been changed recently. If it is black like treacle you can’t be sure when it was changed.
    – Take the oil filler cap off. Look inside the cylinder head. If there is any white goo in there, then head gasket is likely gone.
    – Take the cap off the radiator/expansion tank – BUT ONLY IF THE ENGINE IS COLD, NOT HOT. If there is oil in the water, the head gasket is likely gone.
    – Ask where the van is normally parked. Look at the ground. Is there oil on the ground? Get underneath and look at the engine. Is there oil dripping off anything? If so there is likely an oil leak, which will need to be fixed soon.
    – Look at the radiator. The more of the little fins are broken on the radiator the soon it will need replacing.
    – Look at the wires and pipes on the engine. Are they neat and secure? If not the engine has probably been replaced and not done well.

In general, look for service history. Receipts or proof that it’s been serviced. At least an oil change.

mithcol
    Participant

thank you for those
    thank you for those suggestions, Im working on putting together a list before I begin checking the vans.

mithcol
    Participant

thank you for those
    thank you for those suggestions, Im working on putting together a list before I begin checking the vans.

mithcol
    Participant

thank you for those

mithcol
    Participant

thank you for those

mithcol
    Participant

thank you for those

Deb
    Participant

Hi,The check list Darren has
    Hi,The check list Darren has given you is very good,if your not used to playing about with engines etc why not practice doing the checks on a friends car/van so you will know a bit more about what to look for on the day. Also a test drive can show any problems. Once your happy with a van then can i suggest you get a mechanic to look at it,it could save you a lot of money/heartache while out on the road.

Deb
    Participant

Hi,The check list Darren has given you is very good,if your not used to playing about with engines etc why not practice doing the checks on a friends car/van so you will know a bit more about what to look for on the day. Also a test drive can show any problems. Once your happy with a van then can i suggest you get a mechanic to look at it,it could save you a lot of money/heartache while out on the road.

Deb
    Participant

Deb
    Participant

Deb
    Participant

Andy P
    Participant

Engine checks
    Hiya mithcol.

Darren has given a great list of checks, but I would like to add one more. When you first view a vehicle, check the engine temperature. I once bought a second hand car that was a devil to start from cold and the seller had pre warmed the car up and it seemed to start great when I inspected it. Always be suspicious of viewing a motor that is all warm and toasty – you want to see it start from cold. I have been known to be sneaky and turn up early to view a car, just to see if it is being warmed up ready for me to view. Also, if you want to drive for any great distance, and especially if there is more than one driver, then check the seats are adjustable and comfy. I know it sounds obvious, but the best motor in the world is a heap of rubbish if it gives you back ache……..

Andy P
    Participant

Engine checks
    Hiya mithcol.

Darren has given a great list of checks, but I would like to add one more. When you first view a vehicle, check the engine temperature. I once bought a second hand car that was a devil to start from cold and the seller had pre warmed the car up and it seemed to start great when I inspected it. Always be suspicious of viewing a motor that is all warm and toasty – you want to see it start from cold. I have been known to be sneaky and turn up early to view a car, just to see if it is being warmed up ready for me to view. Also, if you want to drive for any great distance, and especially if there is more than one driver, then check the seats are adjustable and comfy. I know it sounds obvious, but the best motor in the world is a heap of rubbish if it gives you back ache……..

Andy P
    Participant

Engine checks
    Hiya mithcol.

Andy P
    Participant

Engine checks
    Hiya mithcol.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.