Charging leisure battery (old school)

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Charging leisure battery (old school)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a
    Hi just to pick up on a couple of points you mentioned. I agree that simple cheap relays are not the best way to split charge but for people with not heavy electrical useage loads they can be a good cheap solution which negates the need to be operating isolation switches whilst driving. I am not sure on the type of vehicles either of guys are driving but most vehicles require the battery to be connected when running so when you switch you run the risk of one battery discharging into the other. Just as simple relays burn out from the same problem. There is some debate as to wether or not this can damage the batteries. But personally i wouldn’t want to risk it.
    Also you mention that this is the only way to ensure your vehicle will start in the morning. I entirely disagree with this. Switches and relays are not the only way to isolate batteries from one another thus ensuring your vehicle battery is not used for leisure purposes.
    The use of a blocking diode will prevent current flow from one battery to another. You just need to take into account of the voltage drop that you will get accross the diode by use of advanced voltage regulation charging rather than the standard voltage regulation that is fitted to 99% of vehicle alternators.
    So i often i hear/read people suggesting that there is only one way to approach the issue of split charging. There are many, some cheap, some simple and others more expensive and more sophisticated. Most work to varying degrees but how well they perform depend on the load they will be subjected to.

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a
    Hi just to pick up on a couple of points you mentioned. I agree that simple cheap relays are not the best way to split charge but for people with not heavy electrical useage loads they can be a good cheap solution which negates the need to be operating isolation switches whilst driving. I am not sure on the type of vehicles either of guys are driving but most vehicles require the battery to be connected when running so when you switch you run the risk of one battery discharging into the other. Just as simple relays burn out from the same problem. There is some debate as to wether or not this can damage the batteries. But personally i wouldn’t want to risk it.
    Also you mention that this is the only way to ensure your vehicle will start in the morning. I entirely disagree with this. Switches and relays are not the only way to isolate batteries from one another thus ensuring your vehicle battery is not used for leisure purposes.
    The use of a blocking diode will prevent current flow from one battery to another. You just need to take into account of the voltage drop that you will get accross the diode by use of advanced voltage regulation charging rather than the standard voltage regulation that is fitted to 99% of vehicle alternators.
    So i often i hear/read people suggesting that there is only one way to approach the issue of split charging. There are many, some cheap, some simple and others more expensive and more sophisticated. Most work to varying degrees but how well they perform depend on the load they will be subjected to.

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Hi just to pick up on a

KS

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

good point well made..
    However… (you knew that was coming didn’t you?!)
    The vehicle I had was a Bedford CF 1973. Simple charging circuits, simple electrics, nowt fancy here don’t ya know?

The switches were never operated while driving of course, only while parked up for camping, fuel, eating, drinking, sha… erm no.

The batteries couldn’t drain into the other, (a valid concern) because neither was ever that flat,(the point of the exercise) and both batteries were only connected when the engine was running, Therefore the alternator was charging both batteries and equalisation was minimal.

There was always the vehicle battery connected when driving, (so no damage to teh alternator)the leisure battery was switched in and out as required to charge it. Now in theory, rapid charging from an alternator COULD damage the leisure battery.
    In theory.
    But the amount of time it was ever connected, and the fact that there was another load on the circuit while driving, I never suffered any damage. I had the same battery for 5 years with no problems.

I used to sell batteries for a living, and know all about the effects of over charging, under charging, dead loading, etc. But in my experience, with a simple vehicle, and common sense, it worked. And worked well.

The whole point was avoid using diodes and fancy electrickery stuff. And in my experience, electronics fail. Often. Big chunky switches don’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.