Charging leisure battery (old school)

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Charging leisure battery (old school)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    kitesurfer
    Participant

12.73v for my batteries is
    12.73v for my batteries is the fully charged state based on the infomation supplied by the manufacturers not 12.6v and this is what i see every morning after the batteries have been at rest overnight for 12hours. Prior to installing the system on this paricular van i was getting a reading of 12.35 which is just below 70% charge for my batteries. I personally was quite dubious about the claims made about standard voltage regulation and how it was just adequate in terms of the amount of charge potential it has, so i have regulary checked it.
    Fortunately cold weather is not a concern of mine as i never have problems starting in temps down to as low -25 even with the battery that comes with the van. However i will admit that i do not know what the CCA rating is for my starter battery and i have strangely enough never asked any of the people i have jump started in the alps what their cca rating is either. I will however check mine later as it possible this might be why it’s so easy to start in the coldest of temps.

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

12.73v for my batteries is the fully charged state based on the infomation supplied by the manufacturers not 12.6v and this is what i see every morning after the batteries have been at rest overnight for 12hours. Prior to installing the system on this paricular van i was getting a reading of 12.35 which is just below 70% charge for my batteries. I personally was quite dubious about the claims made about standard voltage regulation and how it was just adequate in terms of the amount of charge potential it has, so i have regulary checked it.
    Fortunately cold weather is not a concern of mine as i never have problems starting in temps down to as low -25 even with the battery that comes with the van. However i will admit that i do not know what the CCA rating is for my starter battery and i have strangely enough never asked any of the people i have jump started in the alps what their cca rating is either. I will however check mine later as it possible this might be why it’s so easy to start in the coldest of temps.

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

Bluebird
    Participant

10% plus or minus
    Hello again

My previous battery experience agrees with the figures of up to 14.4v charging, around 12.6v for a resting battery and dropping to 12.1v min under a light load – it’s just the way a 12 volt battery is made. 12.73 volts on a meter would be quite possible though, as electronics are built to a price and usually allow themselves 10% plus or minus. So this is well within range.

Everyone should carry jump leads and a thick tow rope of course (plus sand ladders and maybe a winch outside Europe) for self recovery and being helpful. I hesitate to mention it though, but as my original post suggested, if you camp alone then by using a ‘big switch’ charging circuit you don’t need a second vehicle as long as the leisure battery isn’t flat. You might wait all day for any passing traffic and that might be a donkey cart… It’s tough jump starting from a donkey..!

However you power it – enjoy your camping

Bluebird
    Participant

10% plus or minus
    Hello again

My previous battery experience agrees with the figures of up to 14.4v charging, around 12.6v for a resting battery and dropping to 12.1v min under a light load – it’s just the way a 12 volt battery is made. 12.73 volts on a meter would be quite possible though, as electronics are built to a price and usually allow themselves 10% plus or minus. So this is well within range.

Everyone should carry jump leads and a thick tow rope of course (plus sand ladders and maybe a winch outside Europe) for self recovery and being helpful. I hesitate to mention it though, but as my original post suggested, if you camp alone then by using a ‘big switch’ charging circuit you don’t need a second vehicle as long as the leisure battery isn’t flat. You might wait all day for any passing traffic and that might be a donkey cart… It’s tough jump starting from a donkey..!

Bluebird
    Participant

10% plus or minus
    Hello again

Bluebird
    Participant

10% plus or minus
    Hello again

Bluebird
    Participant

10% plus or minus
    Hello again

Bluebird
    Participant

10% plus or minus
    Hello again

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.