Waeco CR 80 problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Richard Dewar
    Participant

Hi have just bought a Waeco CR80.
    Fitted in the van to test it.
    Setting 3, did not freeze in freezer compartment.
    Began monitoring with remote thermometer.
    Put to setting 5.Cools to about -16 C then cuts off not switching on again until – 1C (though seems to be 3 C in the mornings).
    Wiring to spec, 0.1 to 0.2 voltage drop.
    Waeco say it will test it (and will collect it from my home). Suggested it was the thermostat, but more likely that it needs modifying by putting a different thermostat in the freezer rather the fridge section. This is because in some ‘installations’ it does not work. What and why he would not say. I asked if it was the ambient temperature, which he hinted could be the problem. After buying the fridge, I see in the instructions that they are designed to run in 18 to 43 C. My van is often colder than that.
    So I can have a refund or 600 quid fridge modified.
    Anyone out there with similar experience, and in particular anyone who has had the modification done.
    Any other 12v compressor fridges about in this country or should I just fly to China to buy. I might still have change from 600 quid

Darren
    Keymaster

Hmm. not sure what’s
    Hmm. not sure what’s happening there.
    My CR50 does not freeze the freezer compartment properly until I get to 4 or 5 on the temperature setting (out of 9). That makes the fridge about 5 degrees Celsius.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hmm. not sure what’s
    My CR50 does not freeze the freezer compartment properly until I get to 4 or 5 on the temperature setting (out of 9). That makes the fridge about 5 degrees Celsius.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hmm. not sure what’s

Darren
    Keymaster

Hmm. not sure what’s

Darren
    Keymaster

Hmm. not sure what’s

kitesurfer
    Participant

Yep my waeco fridge doesn’t
    Yep my waeco fridge doesn’t work properly when i go snowboarding in the alps each year but its not really an issue there as i keep the stuff i need cold outside. I did find however that a setting of 5 was enough to freeze the freezer compartment.

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

Yep my waeco fridge doesn’t work properly when i go snowboarding in the alps each year but its not really an issue there as i keep the stuff i need cold outside. I did find however that a setting of 5 was enough to freeze the freezer compartment.

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

Richard Dewar
    Participant

To keep people up to date, I
    To keep people up to date, I had the modification done. The freezer was pretty cold on setting one. -16 C. As the weather got a bit warmer it just ran continuously down to -23 C on setting one. They took the fridge back. Said the thermostat had failed, fitted another thermostat. I suggested that -16 C on setting 1 was perhaps too cold and a thermostat with a wider range would be better. They disagreed. 3 days later the same thing happened.
    On returning to Switzerland, Dometic Switzerland said it was too far to send a technician to me, debated about who would pay and said it was surely my wiring. They said I could go to an auto electrician at my cost. After arguing with and explaining to them they sent their service parteners. They struggled to work out whether the grill cupboard or fridge was actually the fridge, and thought it was the 230 v supply. I was not feeling reassured. They changed the thermostat after Dometic emailed pictures to their smart phone. I asked many questions which they passed on to Dometic. One of my concerns is the excess probe wire that sits outside the fridge near the condensor and compressor. I think the heat is misleading the thermostat, so the fridge keeps cooling, creating more heat which again influences the thermostat reading. A chain reaction. The thermostat has not failed like before but the fridge will go down to -23 when the weather is warmer. I am hoping for some more honest information. I only got to hear from higher management after writing on their Facebook wall. His answer did not answer any of my concerns.
    Other problems I have had. The stainless steel fitting inside rusts. And the plastic door handle seems to be breaking as well as the plastic bottle retainer.
    Rather negative news for me. I would look at other 12V compressor fridges rather than the Waeco unless they have solved this problem. Seems it has been going on a few years, and some people out there have fitted electronic thermostats with success.

Richard Dewar
    Participant

To keep people up to date, I had the modification done. The freezer was pretty cold on setting one. -16 C. As the weather got a bit warmer it just ran continuously down to -23 C on setting one. They took the fridge back. Said the thermostat had failed, fitted another thermostat. I suggested that -16 C on setting 1 was perhaps too cold and a thermostat with a wider range would be better. They disagreed. 3 days later the same thing happened.
    On returning to Switzerland, Dometic Switzerland said it was too far to send a technician to me, debated about who would pay and said it was surely my wiring. They said I could go to an auto electrician at my cost. After arguing with and explaining to them they sent their service parteners. They struggled to work out whether the grill cupboard or fridge was actually the fridge, and thought it was the 230 v supply. I was not feeling reassured. They changed the thermostat after Dometic emailed pictures to their smart phone. I asked many questions which they passed on to Dometic. One of my concerns is the excess probe wire that sits outside the fridge near the condensor and compressor. I think the heat is misleading the thermostat, so the fridge keeps cooling, creating more heat which again influences the thermostat reading. A chain reaction. The thermostat has not failed like before but the fridge will go down to -23 when the weather is warmer. I am hoping for some more honest information. I only got to hear from higher management after writing on their Facebook wall. His answer did not answer any of my concerns.
    Other problems I have had. The stainless steel fitting inside rusts. And the plastic door handle seems to be breaking as well as the plastic bottle retainer.
    Rather negative news for me. I would look at other 12V compressor fridges rather than the Waeco unless they have solved this problem. Seems it has been going on a few years, and some people out there have fitted electronic thermostats with success.

Richard Dewar
    Participant

Richard Dewar
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.