Van electrics?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Van electrics?

Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Cornishsurfer36
    Participant

Wiring from scratch- VW T25
    Hi, Darren, been reading all your posts for the last hour or so, and I think I understand what I need to do to wire up a 12v system in my van but would love any advice/ do and don’t …….

Equipment ,

Leisure battery 110 amp
    30amp intelligent relay sensor ( direct battery to battery no need to go via alternator )
    300W pure sine inverter
    Mini fridge 12v cooler ( only runs on 12 or 240v)
    4x 12v led lights with switches
    5metre RGB led strip lighting that flashes, strobes etc.
    Zig Marque 1 control panel

Questions
    1. What amp rating wire should I use between the batteries, and then onto the control panel? And the lights.

2. Do I create one common earth point for all appliances or just one from the zig panel?

3. Am I right in thinking that that the zig marque 1 is really just a posh fuse box with a battery level indicator? Cannot find a diagram anywhere on the internet! Nothing to do with 240v charging when hooked up at campsite.

4. Can I wire the cooler/fridge and lights straight into the zig panel or should I install a 12v cigarette sockets thingy ( which would be wired into the zig panel. Would I need to upgrade the fuses in the zig unit and to what rating?

5. Am I right in thinking that the inverter is wired separately and just needs a fused wire straight from the leisure battery ?
    Do I need to earth this also?( only want the inverter to charge phone/ laptop)

6. The 4 x 12volt lights I have, can I run them all of the same switch/circuit into the zig panel? Do I need to upgrade fuse?

Any answers/ advice would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    James

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

1. 16mm cable is best between batteries, but you may need to use 10mm, as 16mm is often too big to fit to the intelligent split charge relay.

10mm to the control panel.
    2.5mm is normally fine for lights, as they are low voltage.

2. The best idea is to run a common earth back to the leisure battery. But you can use the Zig, as the Zig earth will also be connected to the leisure battery earth/negative. Also keep in the mind that the entire shell of the van is earthed, so you can use that also.

3. Not sure about that one, but Zig’s aren’t so great. for the same money you can make what you need from other components, that are often cheaper and are of better quality. A fuse box, split charge relay, battery level indicator, and battery charger if you need it.

4. It’s better to wire straight into the fuse box. The 12v sockets aren’t brilliant. Check the fridge for its rating, then fit a suitable fuse.

5. Yes, wire separately. Inverters normally have big thick cables. I attached mine straight ont the leisure battery terminals, without a fuse, as it has it’s own internal fuse. The earth is the negative connection on 12v systems. So it earths itself when you connect the negative terminal.

6. You can use 1 switch no problem. You need to know the rating of the lights. If each light is 1 watt, you need a 4 watt fuse (5 in reality as I don’t think you can get 4 watt fuses).

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

1. 16mm cable is best between batteries, but you may need to use 10mm, as 16mm is often too big to fit to the intelligent split charge relay.

2. The best idea is to run a common earth back to the leisure battery. But you can use the Zig, as the Zig earth will also be connected to the leisure battery earth/negative. Also keep in the mind that the entire shell of the van is earthed, so you can use that also.

3. Not sure about that one, but Zig’s aren’t so great. for the same money you can make what you need from other components, that are often cheaper and are of better quality. A fuse box, split charge relay, battery level indicator, and battery charger if you need it.

4. It’s better to wire straight into the fuse box. The 12v sockets aren’t brilliant. Check the fridge for its rating, then fit a suitable fuse.

5. Yes, wire separately. Inverters normally have big thick cables. I attached mine straight ont the leisure battery terminals, without a fuse, as it has it’s own internal fuse. The earth is the negative connection on 12v systems. So it earths itself when you connect the negative terminal.

6. You can use 1 switch no problem. You need to know the rating of the lights. If each light is 1 watt, you need a 4 watt fuse (5 in reality as I don’t think you can get 4 watt fuses).

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi James
    1. 16mm cable is

Hi James

All the best

Darren

Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.