Sprinter…shall I or shan’t I?

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Sprinter…shall I or shan’t I?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    beachbetty
    Participant

Trying to make up my mind about a Sprinter I’ve been offered. LWB, 10 years old, already kitted out.
    So I’d appreciate some more thoughts on it!

The pros are that it’s already kitted out….awning, kitchen, shower, electrickery, swivel seat, sounds, TV etc etc. It’s all in good nick. And that it’s a Merc.

The cons are…
    It’s done over 20,000 miles, though the guy who owns it is into vehicles and definitely the type who looks after his vehicles. It’s had very regular oil changes/maintenance.
    And, an important factor with the hideous price of diesel, (EEK!) how do Sprinters do on 50/50 diesel/cooking oil?

I was a bit worried about the length, then I realised it was hardly any longer than my last Transit, and that was easy enough to get into supermarket car parks.

The guy wants 3,000, which seems like a good price….my only worry is the mileage really. So what do you lot think…all ideas welcome
    Thanks 😀

beachbetty
    Participant

Er….correction. It’s done
    Er….correction. It’s done over 200,000 miles.

Oh have just looked at the pic of my old Transit there and I think the Merc is a couple of foot longer. hmm, will supermarket parking be tricky?
    Hmmm is it TOO big?????? Mind you, I am planning on Spain/Morocco for the winter, so I suppose it would be nice to have something big enough to actually be comfy in.
    Also it go no windows in the back, only skylights. Not really a big problem I suppose, I’ve put windows in before.

Haven’t got any pics to put up. My brother found it ( it’s a friend of his) so I’ve only seen the pics on his camera and a good report of the van.

beachbetty
    Participant

Oh have just looked at the pic of my old Transit there and I think the Merc is a couple of foot longer. hmm, will supermarket parking be tricky?
    Hmmm is it TOO big?????? Mind you, I am planning on Spain/Morocco for the winter, so I suppose it would be nice to have something big enough to actually be comfy in.
    Also it go no windows in the back, only skylights. Not really a big problem I suppose, I’ve put windows in before.

Haven’t got any pics to put up. My brother found it ( it’s a friend of his) so I’ve only seen the pics on his camera and a good report of the van.

beachbetty
    Participant

beachbetty
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

I’m in both the Sprinter &
    I’m in both the Sprinter & Transit camp, so if it’s right for you, give it a go. 200,000 miles isn’t much if it has been serviced regularly.
    My LWB Transit is an 06 and coming upto 170,000 miles…110,000 done and serviced by me. so 200,000 on a ten yr old motor doesn’t sound drastic to me.
    Think of all the work your going to save yourself. Just a couple of Bonded windows and it’s up and away.

mgroadster
    Participant

I’m in both the Sprinter & Transit camp, so if it’s right for you, give it a go. 200,000 miles isn’t much if it has been serviced regularly.
    My LWB Transit is an 06 and coming upto 170,000 miles…110,000 done and serviced by me. so 200,000 on a ten yr old motor doesn’t sound drastic to me.
    Think of all the work your going to save yourself. Just a couple of Bonded windows and it’s up and away.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

200,000 miles is fine if it’s
    200,000 miles is fine if it’s been looked after. Sprinter has a very though engine.
    LWB is fine if you are out and about touring. Bit of a pain of it’s your daily commuter van.
    You just have to park at the edge of the supermarket, at a quiet time of day.

Darren
    Keymaster

200,000 miles is fine if it’s been looked after. Sprinter has a very though engine.
    LWB is fine if you are out and about touring. Bit of a pain of it’s your daily commuter van.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

beachbetty
    Participant

usually use the bus on a day
    usually use the bus on a day to day basis…luckily I work from home, so only need to go into town once a week, if that…..usually do the shopping with my trusty wheelie bag! I did use the Transit for daily stuff and that was no problem.
    At the moment I live in a lovely flat, but the place is up for sale, so I want a back up home! If this wasn’t such a nice flat (5 minutes from the beach) I’d be off now.
    But a good vehicle like this one doesn’t come along every day, which is why I’m umming and ahhing so much. Size bad, price good.
    Thanks guys

beachbetty
    Participant

usually use the bus on a day
    usually use the bus on a day to day basis…luckily I work from home, so only need to go into town once a week, if that…..usually do the shopping with my trusty wheelie bag! I did use the Transit for daily stuff and that was no problem.
    At the moment I live in a lovely flat, but the place is up for sale, so I want a back up home! If this wasn’t such a nice flat (5 minutes from the beach) I’d be off now.
    But a good vehicle like this one doesn’t come along every day, which is why I’m umming and ahhing so much. Size bad, price good.
    Thanks guys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.