Simple Awning- rope edge tarp

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Simple Awning- rope edge tarp

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Andy P
    Participant

Roll up tarp
    Hiya, Kiwidave.

I am looking at getting a van soon and have been thinking about how to put up an awning that can be removed leaving -nearly- no trace and at little cost. My besy idea so far is to get the tarp I want, then glue and nail the tarp edge to a length of wooden dowel, with the dowel cut in the middle to allow for folding up and storage in the van when not in use.

I intend to fix small eye bolts near the rain channel, then clip carbiners at either end of the van and two in the middle, just either side of the cut in the dowel, attaching the tarp with dowel to the carabiners and using the poles and guy ropes as you mentioned. I think it should be OK as long as it does not get too windy and should be able to be removed easily enough and stored away. I cost it in at less than a hundred pounds, but that is using a camping tarp I bought from a trader on Amazon.

Is this any help?

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

What about a 2nd hand
    What about a 2nd hand “driveaway awning” off Ebay. Wouldn’t a tarpaulin look a bit dossy? (unless you Plat your hair, hug trees and drink stinging nettle juice).
    tarpaulins crease easily and would not look great after being folded for a while.
    Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong type of Tarpaulin. I’m thinking of those blue things B&Q flog.

mgroadster
    Participant

What about a 2nd hand
    What about a 2nd hand “driveaway awning” off Ebay. Wouldn’t a tarpaulin look a bit dossy? (unless you Plat your hair, hug trees and drink stinging nettle juice).
    tarpaulins crease easily and would not look great after being folded for a while.
    Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong type of Tarpaulin. I’m thinking of those blue things B&Q flog.

mgroadster
    Participant

What about a 2nd hand

mgroadster
    Participant

What about a 2nd hand

mgroadster
    Participant

What about a 2nd hand

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.