Simple Awning- rope edge tarp

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Simple Awning- rope edge tarp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    kiwidave
    Participant

Hi All,

I have a hi top transit van, and am looking at ways to add an awning with out the cost of Fiamma type thing. In my head, a rope edge tarpaulin, slid through a ‘U’ shaped channel mounted to the van, with two poles and guy ropes propping up the other side is all I want.

The van has metal ridge (designed to channel the rain away I guess, and I reckon fixing the ‘U’ channel slightly above this.

Does anyone know…..
    Are rope edged tarps like this generally available, or would it need to be custom made?
    Has anyone done something like this, and has any advice??

thanks

Dave

you’re going for the low tech option for an awning
    Hi there KiwiDave,

I love your idea. Its so right up my street too and was just musing today on ‘how to’ create an awning Thinking straight away, it would need guy ropes as well as posts at the far edge? but the roll of tarp could be lifted out of the channel and stowed inside the van when its not needed? Just some thoughts.

Will be pleased to let you rummage and do the prototype if you’ll allow me to snaffle your idea when its ironed out! Is that okay?

suz

Hi there KiwiDave,

I love your idea. Its so right up my street too and was just musing today on ‘how to’ create an awning Thinking straight away, it would need guy ropes as well as posts at the far edge? but the roll of tarp could be lifted out of the channel and stowed inside the van when its not needed? Just some thoughts.

Will be pleased to let you rummage and do the prototype if you’ll allow me to snaffle your idea when its ironed out! Is that okay?

suz

Hi there KiwiDave,

suz

Hi there KiwiDave,

suz

Hi there KiwiDave,

suz

kiwidave
    Participant

Hi Suz,
    Have been doing some thinking about this (and with the lack of replies from anyone who has done this before)

I think the rope would need to be sewn into the edge by a sail maker or professional canvas worker, as of the few that I have seen, none have a significant enough rope edge to hold in place in the U grove. What I have found is some super strength magnets that we bought on line and planning to use those to fix the tarp to the van. It’s a theory yet to be proven, but they are quite small and very strong, and we have 10 of them to line above the door.

I was thinking of a regular tarp with brass eyelets, and yep, guy ropes on the poles. Here are a couple of ‘what I had in mind’ pics…Looks pretty simple I think.

Cheers

Dave

http://www.vanvanvans.com/diy/awning/

kiwidave
    Participant

Hi Suz,
    Have been doing some thinking about this (and with the lack of replies from anyone who has done this before)

I think the rope would need to be sewn into the edge by a sail maker or professional canvas worker, as of the few that I have seen, none have a significant enough rope edge to hold in place in the U grove. What I have found is some super strength magnets that we bought on line and planning to use those to fix the tarp to the van. It’s a theory yet to be proven, but they are quite small and very strong, and we have 10 of them to line above the door.

I was thinking of a regular tarp with brass eyelets, and yep, guy ropes on the poles. Here are a couple of ‘what I had in mind’ pics…Looks pretty simple I think.

Cheers

Dave

kiwidave
    Participant

Hi Suz,

Cheers

Dave

kiwidave
    Participant

Hi Suz,

Cheers

Dave

kiwidave
    Participant

Hi Suz,

Cheers

Dave

Andy P
    Participant

Roll up tarp
    Hiya, Kiwidave.

I am looking at getting a van soon and have been thinking about how to put up an awning that can be removed leaving -nearly- no trace and at little cost. My besy idea so far is to get the tarp I want, then glue and nail the tarp edge to a length of wooden dowel, with the dowel cut in the middle to allow for folding up and storage in the van when not in use.

I intend to fix small eye bolts near the rain channel, then clip carbiners at either end of the van and two in the middle, just either side of the cut in the dowel, attaching the tarp with dowel to the carabiners and using the poles and guy ropes as you mentioned. I think it should be OK as long as it does not get too windy and should be able to be removed easily enough and stored away. I cost it in at less than a hundred pounds, but that is using a camping tarp I bought from a trader on Amazon.

Is this any help?

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Roll up tarp
    Hiya, Kiwidave.

I am looking at getting a van soon and have been thinking about how to put up an awning that can be removed leaving -nearly- no trace and at little cost. My besy idea so far is to get the tarp I want, then glue and nail the tarp edge to a length of wooden dowel, with the dowel cut in the middle to allow for folding up and storage in the van when not in use.

I intend to fix small eye bolts near the rain channel, then clip carbiners at either end of the van and two in the middle, just either side of the cut in the dowel, attaching the tarp with dowel to the carabiners and using the poles and guy ropes as you mentioned. I think it should be OK as long as it does not get too windy and should be able to be removed easily enough and stored away. I cost it in at less than a hundred pounds, but that is using a camping tarp I bought from a trader on Amazon.

Is this any help?

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Roll up tarp
    Hiya, Kiwidave.

Is this any help?

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Roll up tarp
    Hiya, Kiwidave.

Is this any help?

Andy P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.