short-term camper ownership

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van short-term camper ownership

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Dilby
    Participant

Hi everyone – first time posting, but love the site.

I’ve got few questions that I was hoping some people could help me with, but firstly a little background.

I am 28 years old and from Australia and have spent the past 7 years living in the UK where I have set up a small design company with my wife (I am also a British citizen.) It looks like we will be heading back to Oz in the next couple of years and it’s suddenly hit me that I have hardly seen any of Europe and I’ve been perfectly set up to do it.

We both work from home all day, everyday (although already work from various coffee shops etc just to break the cabin fever) and communicate almost always via email with our clients. We have managed to lock in work and enough savings for the move back home itself, and enough to give us a bit of momentum there too while things settle.

So I figured buying a camper and spending a bit of time around europe and working remotely while we do would be ideal- that we’d be silly not to! Unfortunately my wife isn’t as convinced and I’m wondering – is it really that simply or am I simply getting caught up with a romantic idea that never pans out like it does in someone’s head?

Some insight/advice from experience etc would be greatly appreciated. Some points of concern would be:

Internet connectivity and costs.
    The ability to sell a van back in a short period of time. For example I don’t want to be stuck with a van I can’t sell before we move or have to sell it at a bargain price to get rid of it, as it is just going to be a short-term ownership.
    Other possible sticking points.

I wouldn’t be looking at anything fancy/expensive simply because it won’t be for long and I want to keep any money lost as low as possible, so the above advice would need to be in light of me buying something like this:

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/swift/sundance/1998-swift-sundance-590rl-diesel-crowmarsh-mfpa-8a62370f3df2b331013e036852cc2866/motorhomeprice/2000/max

or

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/ford/transit/1990-ford-transit-autosleeper-4-birth-diesel-camper-van-diesel-elswick-and-little-eccleston-mfpa-8aa11af33dd8e57c013ddb8156a41164/motorhomeprice/2000/max

around that price mark – but again, advice appreciated.

I also considered doing a quick transporter- style rock and roll bed conversion as I have heard you can actually make money as opposed to losing it, but I’m going to guess it’s not wise when time is of the essence.

Thanks everyone so much for your help!

Dilby

mgroadster
    Participant

The 1st van looks a giveaway,
    The 1st van looks a giveaway, in fact it’s too cheap!! Look at it very very carefully.
    At this time of year it’s traditional that caravans/motorhomes sell well, but towards Autumn, prices start to drop as the season wanes.
    Even I’d be tempted to look at that sundance on the chance of turning a quick buck!

mgroadster
    Participant

The 1st van looks a giveaway, in fact it’s too cheap!! Look at it very very carefully.
    At this time of year it’s traditional that caravans/motorhomes sell well, but towards Autumn, prices start to drop as the season wanes.
    Even I’d be tempted to look at that sundance on the chance of turning a quick buck!

mgroadster
    Participant

dilby00

Thanks MGroadster –
    So for a

Thanks MGroadster –

So for a budget of around £4000 would it be tricky to find some reliable do you think or would it be a gamble as you say?

dilby00

Thanks MGroadster –
    So for a

Thanks MGroadster –

So for a budget of around £4000 would it be tricky to find some reliable do you think or would it be a gamble as you say?

dilby00

Thanks MGroadster –
    So for a

Thanks MGroadster –

mgroadster
    Participant

No, a budget of 4k is ok, You
    No, a budget of 4k is ok, You should get a transit/sprinter for about 3k and put 1k into a diy fit out.

mgroadster
    Participant

No, a budget of 4k is ok, You should get a transit/sprinter for about 3k and put 1k into a diy fit out.

mgroadster
    Participant

Dilby00

Thanks so much for your help
    Thanks so much for your help so far. Do you think that would be a better bet than buying an older ready-fitted van? Would I be losing less money (or making any?) And do you mean professionally fitted or by myself, as time for me is limited.

Thanks so much

Dilby00

Thanks so much for your help so far. Do you think that would be a better bet than buying an older ready-fitted van? Would I be losing less money (or making any?) And do you mean professionally fitted or by myself, as time for me is limited.

Thanks so much

Dilby00

Thanks so much

Darren
    Keymaster

That first van did look too
    That first van did look too cheap. It’s gone now anyway.

£4K should get you a nice van, just take your time and look around. If you have limited time by one already converted.
    Selling is only really a problem in the winter months. Remember, you can sell anything at any time if it’s priced correctly. Just keep this in mind when you come to sell it.

I have worked whilst traveling many times. I often use a data enabled phone sim. This is a good service in Portugal, and OK in Spain. It’s very expensive in France though. I use the Sim when wild camping in remote places, and then use cafe WiFi when in more built up areas. As long as you don’t need hours of internet everyday, which you shouldn’t if you’re traveling, then it’s fine. It’s a good excuse to get out of the van and have a coffee.

Darren
    Keymaster

That first van did look too
    That first van did look too cheap. It’s gone now anyway.

£4K should get you a nice van, just take your time and look around. If you have limited time by one already converted.
    Selling is only really a problem in the winter months. Remember, you can sell anything at any time if it’s priced correctly. Just keep this in mind when you come to sell it.

I have worked whilst traveling many times. I often use a data enabled phone sim. This is a good service in Portugal, and OK in Spain. It’s very expensive in France though. I use the Sim when wild camping in remote places, and then use cafe WiFi when in more built up areas. As long as you don’t need hours of internet everyday, which you shouldn’t if you’re traveling, then it’s fine. It’s a good excuse to get out of the van and have a coffee.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.