Safe Mirrors

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Safe Mirrors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

hi again second post here as i beaver away with my planning/ideas/notions for my new project – converting my 1994 Mercedes 308D (pug-nose) panel van.

Just had the idea of using mirror finish somewhere inside to create the illusion of space just as you would in a small bathroom or bedroom etc.

Has anyone else thought or tried this and if so whats the safest type of mirror i could use. Scratch/shatter proof would be essential i guess. any ideas/experiences most welcome as always

oh and by the way…who turned the heating back down…..??

Suzi

DAVEY
    Participant

Safe Mirrors
    How about mirrored polystyrene sheet (See http://www.diyplas.co.uk/Info.asp?catid=7&subcatid=467&proid=788&unsid=1) As stated it’s not perfect mirror quality but it is fairly easy to work with and won’t shatter if you drive over a speed bump. As it’s plastic it isn’t as scratch resistant as glass but still fairly tough.

I used some to make wardrobe door mirrors in a house about 5 years ago and it still looks ok now.It’s also much lighter than glass so won’t add much extra weight to Your van

Hope this helps

Davey.

DAVEY
    Participant

Safe Mirrors
    How about mirrored polystyrene sheet (See http://www.diyplas.co.uk/Info.asp?catid=7&subcatid=467&proid=788&unsid=1) As stated it’s not perfect mirror quality but it is fairly easy to work with and won’t shatter if you drive over a speed bump. As it’s plastic it isn’t as scratch resistant as glass but still fairly tough.

I used some to make wardrobe door mirrors in a house about 5 years ago and it still looks ok now.It’s also much lighter than glass so won’t add much extra weight to Your van

Hope this helps

Davey.

DAVEY
    Participant

Safe Mirrors

Hope this helps

Davey.

DAVEY
    Participant

Safe Mirrors

Hope this helps

Davey.

DAVEY
    Participant

Safe Mirrors

Hope this helps

Davey.

DAVEY
    Participant

Safe Mirrors

Hope this helps

Davey.

thanks thats a great tip
    hi davey,
    thanks for the info, i like the idea that the mirror isnt quite mirror quality, may well go for this, its a long way down the line though. Could be a few more questions before im finished.
    talking of finished i read that u were converting a Renault Traffic? how did it go …?

regards suz

thanks thats a great tip
    hi davey,
    thanks for the info, i like the idea that the mirror isnt quite mirror quality, may well go for this, its a long way down the line though. Could be a few more questions before im finished.
    talking of finished i read that u were converting a Renault Traffic? how did it go …?

regards suz

thanks thats a great tip
    hi davey,

regards suz

thanks thats a great tip
    hi davey,

regards suz

thanks thats a great tip
    hi davey,

regards suz

thanks thats a great tip
    hi davey,

regards suz

DAVEY
    Participant

Renault Trafic conversion
    Hello Suz,
    Converting the Renault got off to a flying start, I had windows professionally fitted (See https://www.campervanlife.com/forum/vehicle-maintenance-suggestions-and-ideas/windows ) Then insulated the sides and roof with sheep’s wool and airtec and installed the leisure battery and 12 volt electrics with a stereo and LED lights.
    Then I got really busy with work (60 to 70 hours every week) So progress on the van has been very slow. Just has the basics to satisfy the insurance company that it’s a camper so far.
    I have still managed to escape for a few weekends away in the van and also used it as “Base Camp” at a couple of motorbike club rallies I’ve helped to organise.
    Now trying to work out how to get thr motorbike in to the van along with everything else!
    Good luck with Your project,
    Davey.

DAVEY
    Participant

Renault Trafic conversion
    Hello Suz,
    Converting the Renault got off to a flying start, I had windows professionally fitted (See https://www.campervanlife.com/forum/vehicle-maintenance-suggestions-and-ideas/windows ) Then insulated the sides and roof with sheep’s wool and airtec and installed the leisure battery and 12 volt electrics with a stereo and LED lights.
    Then I got really busy with work (60 to 70 hours every week) So progress on the van has been very slow. Just has the basics to satisfy the insurance company that it’s a camper so far.
    I have still managed to escape for a few weekends away in the van and also used it as “Base Camp” at a couple of motorbike club rallies I’ve helped to organise.
    Now trying to work out how to get thr motorbike in to the van along with everything else!
    Good luck with Your project,
    Davey.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.