POP TOP WARNING!!!

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions POP TOP WARNING!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    slicknoodle
    Participant

I bought a T5 camper van which was newly converted by a company called ‘Bongo Mania’ who are based in Hucknall Nr Nottingham. I was delighted with the van when I bought it, but it wasn’t long before I realised it was nothing short of shoddy. The workmanship inside the van was poor, the windows badly fitted and leaked, the canvas on the pop top leaked horrendously when it rained, and having 2 soaked children in the morning was no fun. Then on Easter Sunday this year whilst travelling on the M4 the pop top ‘popped’. Luckily it didn’t fly off and kill anyone and luckily I was able to control the vehicle and get to the hard shoulder but the thing was ruined beyond belief.

In the following months while trying to get the roof fixed ‘Bongo Mania’ took no responsibility and blamed me for not having tied the roof down. The company who supplied them with the roof also took no responsibility. I can assure you that the roof was tied down correctly. I claimed on my insurance, but they would only pay for a like-for-like roof. I didn’t want the same roof as it was clearly sub-standard. I wanted a Reimo roof which I have now got and am delighted with, although I did have to pay out £2,500 on top of what the insurance company paid out.

So the warning is DO NOT buy a campervan from ANYONE unless it has a REIMO roof. You may kill someone or yourself.

jockspeed
    Participant

POP TOP WARNING..(or not)
    I think you should be very carefull what you go on public forums and start spouting off about as there are quite a few companys making good quality poptops for T5s who would be extremely unhappy to read what you have written here….. I myself have a poptop roof which is not made by reimo, it was fitted 2years ago and I have been very happy with it…there are loads of people making poptops some better than others …by what you are saying I would say your problem lies with the fitter rather than the roof, to me it sounds as if these clowns had fitted a reimo roof you would still have had problems….?

jockspeed
    Participant

I think you should be very carefull what you go on public forums and start spouting off about as there are quite a few companys making good quality poptops for T5s who would be extremely unhappy to read what you have written here….. I myself have a poptop roof which is not made by reimo, it was fitted 2years ago and I have been very happy with it…there are loads of people making poptops some better than others …by what you are saying I would say your problem lies with the fitter rather than the roof, to me it sounds as if these clowns had fitted a reimo roof you would still have had problems….?

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

jockspeed
    Participant

slicknoodle
    Participant

Sorry Jock but i’m not going
    Sorry Jock but i’m not going to be careful about what i say!! I am just trying to highlight the fact that there are some very dodgy companies making ‘not fit for purpose’ roofs and some dodgy companies fitting them. A combination that could one day be lethal. Mine is not an isolated case. I saw another, very similar to mine, recently in the garage and this one had actually snapped in two. With one piece flying down the motorway. It doesnt bare thinking about what consequences it could’ve had. And great if there are other companies making top quality roofs then they will have no problems and probably pleased that i am trying to flush out the cowboys. In the long run they will get more trade. So i’m not really sure what your arguement is? Maybe because i mentioned a company by name…? I’m no Reimo salesman but just a man who went through a hideous experience and am trying to do my bit in order to minimise this happening again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.