Pitman Arm Puller

• This topic has 52 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    dubber1
    Participant

Hi can anyone help as to where I can purchase a successful pitman arm puller.I have tried various pullers some which I have bought and sellers have said they should be o.k. for the job ,but so far no success.I have tried soaking in wd40 but haven’t yet tried heat as this may do in the seal.Many thanks Mike.

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

What type of vehicle is it?
    I

I wouldn’t worry about using WD40. It’s unlikely to be detrimental, and it’s unlikely you’ll get the damned thing off without it!

Without teaching you to suck eggs, but are you using the pullers correctly?
    They won’t normally just pull off an arm or other component. They are designed to add tension to the joint which you ‘release’ by use of a percussion adjustment device.
    A BIG HAMMER!

You tension it, whach it, tension it, whack it… and so on.

And as an aside… make sure it hasn’t got a cotter or split pin through it which locks it on! (been there.. done that…)

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

I wouldn’t worry about using WD40. It’s unlikely to be detrimental, and it’s unlikely you’ll get the damned thing off without it!

They won’t normally just pull off an arm or other component. They are designed to add tension to the joint which you ‘release’ by use of a percussion adjustment device.
    A BIG HAMMER!

And as an aside… make sure it hasn’t got a cotter or split pin through it which locks it on! (been there.. done that…)

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

I

A BIG HAMMER!

dubber1
    Participant

pitman puller
    Hi thanks for the reply.The vehicle in question is a 1972 vw camper with early type cast steering box.I have in the past tensioned the puller hit it with a large hammer re-tensioned etc etc all to no avail these things I understand can be very tight.The only thing to happen was that it bent the puller bolts,it wasn’t a particularly cheap one.I have seen on u tube a puller used that seemed to take the arm off with ease,[maybe done for the camera],but I can’t seem to find one anywhere.Will give it another try with the puller I have and just take my time Thanks Mike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.