Painting MDF

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Painting MDF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    mgroadster
    Participant

I built my kitchen unit today out of MDF and will be building other units also….Has anybody had experience of painting/spraying MDF and is there any prep neccesary before applying paint please?

gymchris
    Participant

mdf
    hi mg finished my conversion a couple a months ago and also used mdf tried to go with a spray finnish on doors and mdf bed unit. prep was a very quick sand with one of those sponge sand blocks. i found that if i sprayed primmer then sprayed paint ontop this. it took a long time and the mdf absorbed spray primmer like a sponge, i found that getting quick dry brush on primmer did the job in one coat and was ready for finish spray coat in an hour best to get a very close match with the primmer , it helps save on the amount of top coat.. because mdf absorbs primmer alot you dont need to worry about brush strokes, they just absorb into the wood making ready for a smooth top coat

gymchris
    Participant

mdf
    hi mg finished my conversion a couple a months ago and also used mdf tried to go with a spray finnish on doors and mdf bed unit. prep was a very quick sand with one of those sponge sand blocks. i found that if i sprayed primmer then sprayed paint ontop this. it took a long time and the mdf absorbed spray primmer like a sponge, i found that getting quick dry brush on primmer did the job in one coat and was ready for finish spray coat in an hour best to get a very close match with the primmer , it helps save on the amount of top coat.. because mdf absorbs primmer alot you dont need to worry about brush strokes, they just absorb into the wood making ready for a smooth top coat

gymchris
    Participant

mdf

gymchris
    Participant

mdf

gymchris
    Participant

mdf

gymchris
    Participant

mdf

gymchris
    Participant

mdf

gymchris
    Participant

mdf

gymchris
    Participant

mdf

gymchris
    Participant

mdf

mgroadster
    Participant

Thanks for that, I wondered
    Thanks for that, I wondered if it soaked up the paint.I will take your comments on board, when I come to do them. cheers.

mgroadster
    Participant

Thanks for that, I wondered if it soaked up the paint.I will take your comments on board, when I come to do them. cheers.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.