overcharging leisure battery

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas overcharging leisure battery

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating
    A battery should be charged ideally at 10% of it’s ampere hour rating. (60ah = 6 amps etc.)
    Your vehicle alternator CAN overcharge the battery and cause damage. However , this can be overcome by using a smart battery cahrging relay, or by manual operation.
    By limiting the time you charge from your vehicle you can avoid damage. (see the other thread about charging).
    I have used ordinary battery chargers without any problems as long as you observe the 10% rule.
    Also when you say smell of burning, this may mean a faulty cell. If you have removable cell caps, check if any are ‘gassing’ while charging. I mean excessive gas in relation to the others. You will get slight bubbling when charging, but of any are more sort of ‘fizzing’ then you have a bad cell.
    Also remember you will always get a ‘rotten egg’ smell when charging any battery and is not a fault. Just chemical reaction.

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating
    A battery should be charged ideally at 10% of it’s ampere hour rating. (60ah = 6 amps etc.)
    Your vehicle alternator CAN overcharge the battery and cause damage. However , this can be overcome by using a smart battery cahrging relay, or by manual operation.
    By limiting the time you charge from your vehicle you can avoid damage. (see the other thread about charging).
    I have used ordinary battery chargers without any problems as long as you observe the 10% rule.
    Also when you say smell of burning, this may mean a faulty cell. If you have removable cell caps, check if any are ‘gassing’ while charging. I mean excessive gas in relation to the others. You will get slight bubbling when charging, but of any are more sort of ‘fizzing’ then you have a bad cell.
    Also remember you will always get a ‘rotten egg’ smell when charging any battery and is not a fault. Just chemical reaction.

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

check the rating

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.