first timer worries

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself first timer worries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    fairy312
    Participant

Hi

Ive finally decided its time to stop thinking I want to go travelling round and actually do it!! I’m hoping to get a camper soon as my house is sold and travel for a few months through Europe with my dog and daughter. Ive sorted the dog passport and I’m happy to take my 9 year old out of school and teach her myself as I think the whole experience would help with her education . . but there’s still the doubts is it safe to travel on our own? Am I being irresponsible? Has anyone else done this who can offer reassurance? Thanks Wendy x

Wanderer007
    Participant

wow a big call
    I know there are two experience travellers. Not sure if they went with their children though. Could you go in the summer so you are not missing any of the school term. I know what you mean though about life experience and I would agree.

I would take it in stages myself first just to see how your daughter settles into it. I have two daughters, that my only experience. My dad travelled for years in his 50s and wish he done it earlier.

I would seek advice and firstly understand your budget well, and other living arrangements on your return. I know about travel and moving about its that what the problem is not the adventure, but the return.

I can fully understand why you want to travel and the benifits. I would listen to Darren and Big Wagon Suz, plus many others. It would be great if you chatted to someone on here who was in the same position as you though. Good luck

Wanderer007
    Participant

wow a big call
    I know there are two experience travellers. Not sure if they went with their children though. Could you go in the summer so you are not missing any of the school term. I know what you mean though about life experience and I would agree.

I would take it in stages myself first just to see how your daughter settles into it. I have two daughters, that my only experience. My dad travelled for years in his 50s and wish he done it earlier.

I would seek advice and firstly understand your budget well, and other living arrangements on your return. I know about travel and moving about its that what the problem is not the adventure, but the return.

I can fully understand why you want to travel and the benifits. I would listen to Darren and Big Wagon Suz, plus many others. It would be great if you chatted to someone on here who was in the same position as you though. Good luck

Wanderer007
    Participant

wow a big call

Wanderer007
    Participant

wow a big call

Wanderer007
    Participant

wow a big call

Hi to theTravelling Fairy
    Hello to you and your daughter and dog!

Im a bit of a bare-foot philosopher so forgive me for urging you to follow your dreams. If you’ve had a mind to travel (and now you have the window of opportunity) then you are well on road to making that dream a reality.
    I love campervans – the pleasure of driving a big’ish vehicle with the delight of it becoming your home the minute you turn that ignition off..there’s nothing like it!
    With 3 of you on board too you’re going to have a head start out on the road as dogs and kids are the ultimate ice-breaker wherever you go. So you needn’t worry about being isolated in your van. When i first started travelling I realised i was going to have to up my confidence levels as a woman on my own and now its never a problem; real camper converts are the best bunch of people you can find.
    Have no doubt that you’ll love it from the outset as im sure your daughter will too. Taking her out of school to give her a taste of the university of life sounds good too – if she’s not bothered about the disruption to her school social life…breaking that continuity has to be a consideration. How about what 007 suggests for starters and hit the highroad over the summer hols first of all? Then if all goes well…just keep on travelling.
    At the top of your list of priorities when travelling has to be security. You really dont want to loose your valuables (it happened to me in Barcelona – the van was broken into and laptop, wallet, passports etc…ugh – nightmare) So I’d fit a impenatrable strongbox. I have and its amazing the peace of mind its restored to me when im on the road. Campers abroad are an especial target because the thieves know that you have all your valuables with you. A stongbox or safe wont stop them breaking in but will stop them from getting away with your stash!
    Doubts come with the territory of breaking out of the rut! If you’re well informed, well prepared, well funded with a good back up network you’re sorted! Anything else you’ll deal with as and when and IF it arises.
    great to have you on board too.
    Enjoy this early stage and watch your dream come to life!

Suz

Im a bit of a bare-foot philosopher so forgive me for urging you to follow your dreams. If you’ve had a mind to travel (and now you have the window of opportunity) then you are well on road to making that dream a reality.
    I love campervans – the pleasure of driving a big’ish vehicle with the delight of it becoming your home the minute you turn that ignition off..there’s nothing like it!
    With 3 of you on board too you’re going to have a head start out on the road as dogs and kids are the ultimate ice-breaker wherever you go. So you needn’t worry about being isolated in your van. When i first started travelling I realised i was going to have to up my confidence levels as a woman on my own and now its never a problem; real camper converts are the best bunch of people you can find.
    Have no doubt that you’ll love it from the outset as im sure your daughter will too. Taking her out of school to give her a taste of the university of life sounds good too – if she’s not bothered about the disruption to her school social life…breaking that continuity has to be a consideration. How about what 007 suggests for starters and hit the highroad over the summer hols first of all? Then if all goes well…just keep on travelling.
    At the top of your list of priorities when travelling has to be security. You really dont want to loose your valuables (it happened to me in Barcelona – the van was broken into and laptop, wallet, passports etc…ugh – nightmare) So I’d fit a impenatrable strongbox. I have and its amazing the peace of mind its restored to me when im on the road. Campers abroad are an especial target because the thieves know that you have all your valuables with you. A stongbox or safe wont stop them breaking in but will stop them from getting away with your stash!
    Doubts come with the territory of breaking out of the rut! If you’re well informed, well prepared, well funded with a good back up network you’re sorted! Anything else you’ll deal with as and when and IF it arises.

Suz

Suz

Suz

Suz

Darren
    Keymaster

In terms of safety, you can
    In terms of safety, you can do things to make things safer.
    If you always stay at campsite at night, or official Aires, then you are increasing your security quite a lot.
    Parking at beaches, etc, during the day is generally fine. Always pick your place well, amongst other people. Chat to the other campers around you, and we all keep our eyes on out other peoples vehicles.

As the others have said, the sense of freedom is fantastic. It’s a great lifestyle, which lots of options.

Darren
    Keymaster

If you always stay at campsite at night, or official Aires, then you are increasing your security quite a lot.
    Parking at beaches, etc, during the day is generally fine. Always pick your place well, amongst other people. Chat to the other campers around you, and we all keep our eyes on out other peoples vehicles.

As the others have said, the sense of freedom is fantastic. It’s a great lifestyle, which lots of options.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.