Electrical shenanigans

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Electrical shenanigans

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Kris
    Participant

Rivet nuts rivnuts
    Hi I tried Davies method for the rivnuts and it works very well but if your fitting alot I reccomend this one of ebay for the sake of a £10 NOTE (if using steel rivnuts replace the pin in the middle for a Bolt as it will bow out after 20 or so ive installed 90 rivnuts so far.)

For the size, I used a M5 rivnut as they fit into the existing holes. ive used them for absolutely everything making brackets for Ceiling, fixing the ceiling and side pannels ive replaced evrerything with 9mm ply and I use some nice looking 20mm bolts.

I deffinatly suggest using corregated conduit to protect your cables it gives you that extra peace of mind and its a neat job.

Also get some underbody sealent (the Black stuff in the pics to protect those fresh cut holes under the van from rust.

Kris
    Participant

AS your on electrics this Might Help
    This is how ive wired up the mains power supply, the cam switch is a brilliant peice of kit it just alows me to change the power to the 240v sockets either from the 240 mains or the inverter only a £5 or so off ebay. all the power is looped together in a way thats called a ring main. The fused spur has an additional output that runs through the fuse which is for the leisure battery charger.
    Im converting my van as cheap as possible with quality product so its not cheap if you know what i meen. Im keeping records of every purchase and photo’s of every stage so if you need any help jus ask. 😀

Regards Kris

Kris
    Participant

This is how ive wired up the mains power supply, the cam switch is a brilliant peice of kit it just alows me to change the power to the 240v sockets either from the 240 mains or the inverter only a £5 or so off ebay. all the power is looped together in a way thats called a ring main. The fused spur has an additional output that runs through the fuse which is for the leisure battery charger.
    Im converting my van as cheap as possible with quality product so its not cheap if you know what i meen. Im keeping records of every purchase and photo’s of every stage so if you need any help jus ask. 😀

Regards Kris

Kris
    Participant

Regards Kris

Anonymous

Thanks fellas
    Hey thanks a lot for all the info & advice, as well as the pics. It’s a massive help.

I have now ordered the Rivnuts…happy days!! I went for the 6mm as I’ll be able to use the existing holes in the bulkheads, just gotta widen them slightly.

Davey, thanks for the pics of your 240v hookup. I was toying with the idea of making things easy & going through the back doors. It’s good to know this works to keep my options open.

Kris thanks for the diag, that’s pretty much what I had planned. However after huge deliberations, I’m gonna leave out the inverter. I reckon all I’ll be using off the 12v system is lighting & iPad/iPhone charging. 12v sockets will be good for this, but definitely putting the 240v in for longer periods away. Using the rivnuts will make it all real easy to add extras to the electrics if I find I want more in the future. I do agree with the conduit idea as well, I’ve got some ready for when I start running the cables.

Thanks for the advice offer Kris. I’m doing the same, trying to keep it minimal, but a decent job. Are you having a board stowage? I’m thinking about making my sofa/bed large enough to keep them under there with access from the back doors. Keeps them out of the way with no chance of damaging them.

Cheers again fellas, I really appreciate it. I’ll try to get some pics up as I do the jobs. Just struggling to find time at the moment cos I’m away weekdays, & weekends are designed for surfing…haha.

Anonymous

Thanks fellas
    Hey thanks a lot for all the info & advice, as well as the pics. It’s a massive help.

I have now ordered the Rivnuts…happy days!! I went for the 6mm as I’ll be able to use the existing holes in the bulkheads, just gotta widen them slightly.

Davey, thanks for the pics of your 240v hookup. I was toying with the idea of making things easy & going through the back doors. It’s good to know this works to keep my options open.

Kris thanks for the diag, that’s pretty much what I had planned. However after huge deliberations, I’m gonna leave out the inverter. I reckon all I’ll be using off the 12v system is lighting & iPad/iPhone charging. 12v sockets will be good for this, but definitely putting the 240v in for longer periods away. Using the rivnuts will make it all real easy to add extras to the electrics if I find I want more in the future. I do agree with the conduit idea as well, I’ve got some ready for when I start running the cables.

Thanks for the advice offer Kris. I’m doing the same, trying to keep it minimal, but a decent job. Are you having a board stowage? I’m thinking about making my sofa/bed large enough to keep them under there with access from the back doors. Keeps them out of the way with no chance of damaging them.

Cheers again fellas, I really appreciate it. I’ll try to get some pics up as I do the jobs. Just struggling to find time at the moment cos I’m away weekdays, & weekends are designed for surfing…haha.

Anonymous

Thanks fellas

Kris
    Participant

board storagre
    The way ive decided to design my van is a bit different as i want to keep the option of taking a motorbike with me so the bed is running width ways as two couches with a drop down table to make a bed the transit is 180cm wide and im 173cm. The only option i could think of was either ceiling or on the roof, I ended up going for the ceiling option (surf board wall mounts just bolted to the ceiling) very smart looking though.
    In regards to the inverter i dont know what id use it for really so im not buying one just yet but i thought if i had the wiring ready just incase something does come up in the future.
    heres a pic of the couches bed things.
    gd stuff i cant say i can blame you with the surfing, where bouts you go?

Kris
    Participant

board storagre
    The way ive decided to design my van is a bit different as i want to keep the option of taking a motorbike with me so the bed is running width ways as two couches with a drop down table to make a bed the transit is 180cm wide and im 173cm. The only option i could think of was either ceiling or on the roof, I ended up going for the ceiling option (surf board wall mounts just bolted to the ceiling) very smart looking though.
    In regards to the inverter i dont know what id use it for really so im not buying one just yet but i thought if i had the wiring ready just incase something does come up in the future.

Kris
    Participant

board storagre

Eeypre18
    Participant

Motorbike stowage
    Don’t think I’ll fit the Bandit into my van..haha. I do want to make it versatile though. So all the electrics I put in will be solely on the side panels. Then through the winter months when I probably won’t be camping much, I can remove the left hand cupboards (once built). This will give me ample room for mountain bikes. I like the idea of ceiling mounts, do you have a high top. I’m 6ft 2 so am a bit restricted as mine isn’t, but I’m gonna look into it though.

Surf mostly around Polzeath & Harlyn in Cornwall. (Sorry if you already new the Cornwall bit, dunno where your from…lol)

Cheers for the pic. I’ve only got the before pics at the moment. So I’ll post some when I get chance to start fitting.

Eeypre18
    Participant

Motorbike stowage
    Don’t think I’ll fit the Bandit into my van..haha. I do want to make it versatile though. So all the electrics I put in will be solely on the side panels. Then through the winter months when I probably won’t be camping much, I can remove the left hand cupboards (once built). This will give me ample room for mountain bikes. I like the idea of ceiling mounts, do you have a high top. I’m 6ft 2 so am a bit restricted as mine isn’t, but I’m gonna look into it though.

Surf mostly around Polzeath & Harlyn in Cornwall. (Sorry if you already new the Cornwall bit, dunno where your from…lol)

Cheers for the pic. I’ve only got the before pics at the moment. So I’ll post some when I get chance to start fitting.

Eeypre18
    Participant

Motorbike stowage

Kris
    Participant

Bandit Nice
    I have a Suzuki SV650, but will probably take the misses scooter as its alot lighter and easier to move about, they individually just fit with everything in.
    Ive got a low roof so i cant have a kitchen really so i was just going to get a outdoor popup kitchen and a awning. its the only time being 5’6″ has come in my favor lol
    Since ive been in england ive only ever gone surfing at Contantine, Treyarnon and Boobies so very close to Harlyn. but i live 5 hours away near Lichfield so its hard to get down there 🙁 but thats the main reason why im doing the van 😀
    These are the brackets i brought off ebay second hand £15
    And a interior design of the van.

Kris
    Participant

Bandit Nice
    I have a Suzuki SV650, but will probably take the misses scooter as its alot lighter and easier to move about, they individually just fit with everything in.
    Ive got a low roof so i cant have a kitchen really so i was just going to get a outdoor popup kitchen and a awning. its the only time being 5’6″ has come in my favor lol
    Since ive been in england ive only ever gone surfing at Contantine, Treyarnon and Boobies so very close to Harlyn. but i live 5 hours away near Lichfield so its hard to get down there 🙁 but thats the main reason why im doing the van 😀
    These are the brackets i brought off ebay second hand £15
    And a interior design of the van.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.