Electrical shenanigans

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Electrical shenanigans

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Eeypre18
    Participant

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has fitted a 240v hookup to a renault trafic?

I have a 2004 swb, and I am trying to decide the best place to locate the 240v inlet socket during my planning phase of my conversion. I have seen a lot of variations for different types of vans, under the bonnet, in a dummy light, socket cut through shell.

I don’t really want to cut through the shell, I would prefer to have something a little more discrete, & just thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts.

Any ideas or thoughts are always gratefully received.

Cheers.

Darren
    Keymaster

I have seen a cable through a
    I have seen a cable through a bumper reflector before, but not on a Trafic.
    I once mounted a water outlet in the wheel arch, you could do the same with a good water proof hookup socket.

Darren
    Keymaster

I once mounted a water outlet in the wheel arch, you could do the same with a good water proof hookup socket.

Darren
    Keymaster

Kris
    Participant

For my transit
    Mines a Transit but it might help. I put a chassis outlet which is water proof just behind the drivers seat under the van (hidden) and goes behind the ply pannel (which will be on a hinge) into a garage rcd.
    Hopefully this comes of some help.

Kris
    Participant

For my transit
    Mines a Transit but it might help. I put a chassis outlet which is water proof just behind the drivers seat under the van (hidden) and goes behind the ply pannel (which will be on a hinge) into a garage rcd.

Kris
    Participant

For my transit

Anonymous

That looks cool
    Cheers Kris. I think I’ll take a look under the van. I’ve been looking at attaching it to the towbar framing & running the cable to the consumer unit with the towbar electrics. I also like your consumer unit panel. Minimal cabling to the sockets, I’m all about minimal cabling…haha.

Been looking into the rivnuts gadget myself & saw your post. Where did you get your installation tool from? & what size did you use for your panelling. Always good to have things removable, cos I’ll never get it right first time round…& I like the idea of being able to change things easily. If you get the time, a couple pics would be dead handy for me.

Thanks again mate.

Anonymous

That looks cool
    Cheers Kris. I think I’ll take a look under the van. I’ve been looking at attaching it to the towbar framing & running the cable to the consumer unit with the towbar electrics. I also like your consumer unit panel. Minimal cabling to the sockets, I’m all about minimal cabling…haha.

Been looking into the rivnuts gadget myself & saw your post. Where did you get your installation tool from? & what size did you use for your panelling. Always good to have things removable, cos I’ll never get it right first time round…& I like the idea of being able to change things easily. If you get the time, a couple pics would be dead handy for me.

Thanks again mate.

Anonymous

That looks cool

Thanks again mate.

DAVEY
    Participant

Electric hook up
    The electric hook up on My renault trafic is a garage consumer unit attached just inside the right (driver;s side) rear door.the output side runs to a 4 way surge protected extension lead fixed to the channel where the high top connects to the standard body. Minimal cabling, keep it simple!
    The input side is just a short cable with a 240 volt round blue plug, like the ones on a mains hook up lead. This plugs in to the female socket on a standard mains lead and the other end goes in to the camp site power supply.
    I run the mains lead out through the back doors. The rubber door seal is soft enough to allow the lead to fit through without damage to the lead or the door seal.
    (I prefer to use the sliding side door to get in and out as the back doors on the high top are quite heavy and difficult to close from inside the van)

RIVNUTS
    I used these to re fit the original plastic lining panels after removing them to insulate the van. The ones I used had a 5 mm thread and worked fine for the lining panels.If You are using ply and fixing other fittings to it You might need bigger ones.
    I made an instalation tool from a strip of steel a bolt and 2 nuts and washers.
    put the nuts on to the bolt and tighten them against each other, then put the washers over the bolt. drill a hole in the metal strip just big enough for the bolt to pass through. cut the head off the bolt and fit it in the chuck of a cordless drill.
    put the bolt through the hole in the metal strip and fit the rivnut to the other side. Push the rivnut in to the hole in the panel then use the drill to pull the fastener up tight. (a drop of oil on the thread helps here) Then reverse the drill to remove the tool.The threads on the bolt will wear out so You might need to make several tools if You have a lot of fasteners to fit.

DAVEY
    Participant

Electric hook up
    The electric hook up on My renault trafic is a garage consumer unit attached just inside the right (driver;s side) rear door.the output side runs to a 4 way surge protected extension lead fixed to the channel where the high top connects to the standard body. Minimal cabling, keep it simple!
    The input side is just a short cable with a 240 volt round blue plug, like the ones on a mains hook up lead. This plugs in to the female socket on a standard mains lead and the other end goes in to the camp site power supply.
    I run the mains lead out through the back doors. The rubber door seal is soft enough to allow the lead to fit through without damage to the lead or the door seal.
    (I prefer to use the sliding side door to get in and out as the back doors on the high top are quite heavy and difficult to close from inside the van)

RIVNUTS
    I used these to re fit the original plastic lining panels after removing them to insulate the van. The ones I used had a 5 mm thread and worked fine for the lining panels.If You are using ply and fixing other fittings to it You might need bigger ones.
    put the nuts on to the bolt and tighten them against each other, then put the washers over the bolt. drill a hole in the metal strip just big enough for the bolt to pass through. cut the head off the bolt and fit it in the chuck of a cordless drill.
    put the bolt through the hole in the metal strip and fit the rivnut to the other side. Push the rivnut in to the hole in the panel then use the drill to pull the fastener up tight. (a drop of oil on the thread helps here) Then reverse the drill to remove the tool.The threads on the bolt will wear out so You might need to make several tools if You have a lot of fasteners to fit.

DAVEY
    Participant

Electric hook up

RIVNUTS

Kris
    Participant

Rivet nuts rivnuts
    Hi I tried Davies method for the rivnuts and it works very well but if your fitting alot I reccomend this one of ebay for the sake of a £10 NOTE (if using steel rivnuts replace the pin in the middle for a Bolt as it will bow out after 20 or so ive installed 90 rivnuts so far.)

For the size, I used a M5 rivnut as they fit into the existing holes. ive used them for absolutely everything making brackets for Ceiling, fixing the ceiling and side pannels ive replaced evrerything with 9mm ply and I use some nice looking 20mm bolts.

I deffinatly suggest using corregated conduit to protect your cables it gives you that extra peace of mind and its a neat job.

Also get some underbody sealent (the Black stuff in the pics to protect those fresh cut holes under the van from rust.

Kris
    Participant

Rivet nuts rivnuts
    Hi I tried Davies method for the rivnuts and it works very well but if your fitting alot I reccomend this one of ebay for the sake of a £10 NOTE (if using steel rivnuts replace the pin in the middle for a Bolt as it will bow out after 20 or so ive installed 90 rivnuts so far.)

For the size, I used a M5 rivnut as they fit into the existing holes. ive used them for absolutely everything making brackets for Ceiling, fixing the ceiling and side pannels ive replaced evrerything with 9mm ply and I use some nice looking 20mm bolts.

I deffinatly suggest using corregated conduit to protect your cables it gives you that extra peace of mind and its a neat job.

Also get some underbody sealent (the Black stuff in the pics to protect those fresh cut holes under the van from rust.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.