Cutting holes for venting?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Cutting holes for venting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Global_s
    Participant

How many holes do you have in your van for ventilation?

I’ve heard of people having holes cut for next to the gas bottle, but as I’m just doing a basic conversion I’m running a camping stove. Is it still necessary to cut the holes if you turn it of at the bottle after each use?

Do you have any cut for leisure battery to vent or any other ones?

Ta

Darren
    Keymaster

It doesn’t matter how simple
    It doesn’t matter how simple your gas setup is, the regulator and/or piping can leak. When it does the gas will sink. It is a good idea to have a sink hole to let the gas drain outside the vehicle.

Here are some options

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gas-drop-vents-camper-van-vw-t4-t5-caravan-motorhome-from-mcdougall-motorhomes-/321067141872?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4ac117caf0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-75mm-Round-through-floor-gas-drop-vents-/160982615090?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item257b4fc432

I always turn of my gas bottle. But it can still leak.

If your leisure battery is ventilated it will give off a little gas when it charges. That gas can be poisonous and explosive. Definitely vent the leisure battery if you can. This normally means making a box for it, then having a ventilation hole to the outside. Not always easy though.

Darren
    Keymaster

It doesn’t matter how simple your gas setup is, the regulator and/or piping can leak. When it does the gas will sink. It is a good idea to have a sink hole to let the gas drain outside the vehicle.

Here are some options

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gas-drop-vents-camper-van-vw-t4-t5-caravan-motorhome-from-mcdougall-motorhomes-/321067141872?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4ac117caf0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-75mm-Round-through-floor-gas-drop-vents-/160982615090?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item257b4fc432

If your leisure battery is ventilated it will give off a little gas when it charges. That gas can be poisonous and explosive. Definitely vent the leisure battery if you can. This normally means making a box for it, then having a ventilation hole to the outside. Not always easy though.

Darren
    Keymaster

Here are some options

Global_s
    Participant

Thanks Darren, that makes
    Thanks Darren, that makes sense.

So I’m looking at a sealed box that could hold my leisure battery and two 13kg bottles with a vent at the bottom? Could it be constructed out of wood, sealed round the edges and lift the bottles out from the top?

Nothing is fixed yet and I’m going to reline/insulate the van soon, which is why I’m thinking about cutting holes first, so hopefully that will make it easier.

Global_s
    Participant

So I’m looking at a sealed box that could hold my leisure battery and two 13kg bottles with a vent at the bottom? Could it be constructed out of wood, sealed round the edges and lift the bottles out from the top?

Nothing is fixed yet and I’m going to reline/insulate the van soon, which is why I’m thinking about cutting holes first, so hopefully that will make it easier.

Global_s
    Participant

DAVEY
    Participant

Venting
    It’s best to keep the gas bottles in a separate place to the batteries as an electric spark could ignite any escaping gas and cause an explosion.
    Also the gas from the battery is hydrogen which is lighter than air so would not sink out of a vent at the bottom of the storage locker.
    The leisure battery in My van has 2 vent holes near the top of the battery casing. so I fitted vent tubes in the holes, stuck in with silicone. These run in to a T piece and then a single pipe goes out through a small hole in the floor, again sealed with silicone.This allows any battery gas to escape and avoids cutting a big vent hole in the bodywork. Just make sure the pipe does not exit near the hot exhaust!

DAVEY
    Participant

Venting
    It’s best to keep the gas bottles in a separate place to the batteries as an electric spark could ignite any escaping gas and cause an explosion.
    Also the gas from the battery is hydrogen which is lighter than air so would not sink out of a vent at the bottom of the storage locker.
    The leisure battery in My van has 2 vent holes near the top of the battery casing. so I fitted vent tubes in the holes, stuck in with silicone. These run in to a T piece and then a single pipe goes out through a small hole in the floor, again sealed with silicone.This allows any battery gas to escape and avoids cutting a big vent hole in the bodywork. Just make sure the pipe does not exit near the hot exhaust!

DAVEY
    Participant

Venting

Darren
    Keymaster

As Davey says, don’t put the
    As Davey says, don’t put the batteries and gas bottles together. Batteries can spark.
    A wood box is fine.

Darren
    Keymaster

As Davey says, don’t put the batteries and gas bottles together. Batteries can spark.
    A wood box is fine.

Darren
    Keymaster

A wood box is fine.

Global_s
    Participant

Nice one…poking around
    Nice one…poking around under seats, I might be able to find space for them under there, which would be nice. I’ve heard of people doing this before, but how would you went them?

Global_s
    Participant

Nice one…poking around
    Nice one…poking around under seats, I might be able to find space for them under there, which would be nice. I’ve heard of people doing this before, but how would you went them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.