baffled by leisure battery

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions baffled by leisure battery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

Hi recently bought a Renault traffic 1999 diesel conversion. Has leisure battery and hook up. I don’t understand the set up at all..I am a newbie. On the dashboard there is a lever..which can be in 3 positions and next to it there is a digital display screen showing voltage. In the back of the van there is a mini consumer unit and a little battery charger with low to high voltage display. Everything works when hooked up..but when not hooked up the strip lights just flash on and off and there is a ticking noise under the bonnet. Any advice or suggestions gratefully received..the garage I got it from told me everything about the engine but don’t know about the conversion. Thanks for reading….Alisonx

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Alison
    What are the three

Hi Alison

What are the three positions of the dashboard switch? Are they labeled.
    When not on hookup does anything work of the batteries? Does the clicking noise always happen?
    Maybe the batteries are flat or old and need replacing?

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Alison
    What are the three

Hi Alison

When not on hookup does anything work of the batteries? Does the clicking noise always happen?

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Alison
    What are the three

Hi Alison

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Alison
    What are the three

Hi Alison

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Alison
    What are the three

Hi Alison

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Alison
    What are the three

Hi Alison

Alison Eastwood

Hi Darren

The positions on the dashboard switch are off, on and the third (in the middle position) is unmarked. When not on hook up the strip lights work for a short time, then they start flashing on and off, all at the same time and in rythmn with the ticking noise. There is a smartcom box above the leisure battery under the bonnet and i think that’s what’s ticking. the fride, hob and heater run off gas, but the fridge is 3 way. what would be really helpful is to know what the lever on the dashboard and the screen are for. Im guessing it lets charge the leisure battery when driving and then isolate it so you dont run down the main battery, but im not sure what postion to put it in and when. I also dont know what the little battery charger next to the consumer unit/fuse box is for in the back.

Thanks so much

Alison

Alison Eastwood

Hi Darren

The positions on the dashboard switch are off, on and the third (in the middle position) is unmarked. When not on hook up the strip lights work for a short time, then they start flashing on and off, all at the same time and in rythmn with the ticking noise. There is a smartcom box above the leisure battery under the bonnet and i think that’s what’s ticking. the fride, hob and heater run off gas, but the fridge is 3 way. what would be really helpful is to know what the lever on the dashboard and the screen are for. Im guessing it lets charge the leisure battery when driving and then isolate it so you dont run down the main battery, but im not sure what postion to put it in and when. I also dont know what the little battery charger next to the consumer unit/fuse box is for in the back.

Thanks so much

Alison

Alison Eastwood

Hi Darren

Thanks so much

Alison

Alison Eastwood

Hi Darren

Thanks so much

Alison

Alison Eastwood

Hi Darren

Thanks so much

Alison

Alison Eastwood

Hi Darren

Thanks so much

Alison

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Alison
    It sounds like the

Hi Alison

It sounds like the switch is to select whether the engine and leisure battery are connected, or it could be to turn the relay on or off.
    Unfortunately it would not be possible to tell without inspecting it with a multimeter or by tracing the wires. If you are not confident with electrics then I’m afraid you’ll have to find a friend who can help, or visit a campervan or motorhome dealer or workshop to investigate it for you.
    The smartcom box is probably a relay, and it’s strange why it might click. Does it click with the dashboard switch in all three positions?

The battery charger also certainly charges the leisure battery when you are hookup. Again, someone who knows about electrics could trace the wires and find out for you.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Alison
    It sounds like the

Hi Alison

It sounds like the switch is to select whether the engine and leisure battery are connected, or it could be to turn the relay on or off.
    Unfortunately it would not be possible to tell without inspecting it with a multimeter or by tracing the wires. If you are not confident with electrics then I’m afraid you’ll have to find a friend who can help, or visit a campervan or motorhome dealer or workshop to investigate it for you.
    The smartcom box is probably a relay, and it’s strange why it might click. Does it click with the dashboard switch in all three positions?

The battery charger also certainly charges the leisure battery when you are hookup. Again, someone who knows about electrics could trace the wires and find out for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.