Eastern Europe

xx – todo tidy

We found that facilities for the disabled are extremely poor in eastern Europe. Facilities for wheelchair users are almost non existent.

Many eastern European countries use the “E” road numbers for through routes in some towns and cities. So if you are venturing abroad and plan to visit a few countries make sure you make a note of the “E” road numbers on your route. See http://www.elbruz.org/eroads/AGR_2.htm

Before leaving home check out the FCO website http://tinyurl.com/6bf0 for up to date travel advice in the countries you plan to visit.

If you have to buy “Green Card” insurance cover at a border crossing remember it’s only third party cover. Be aware of the problems that can arise if you have no breakdown/recovery insurance in countries outside the EU. In Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey the vehicle details are entered in the drivers passport and under normal circumstances the driver cannot leave the country with out the vehicle. If a vehicle is written off in a road traffic accident there could be some duty to pay. This is normally settled by the vehicle breakdown/recovery insurance (AA/RAC/Red Pennant) when they collect the vehicle. Having no cover could lead to a very stressful situation.

We always carry IDP (International Driving Permits) whilst abroad, we have found over the years that they are more acceptable than the UK license. They cost £5 (I think) from any main Post Office

The AA have a very good website at http://www.theaa.com/staticdocs/pdf/allaboutcars/overseas/aa_european_touring_tips_01_2005.pdf that gives European touring tips/regulations on most countries in Europe

We found the Lonely Planet Guide to Eastern Europe (19 countries in all) covered most of our needs. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *