woodburninng stove

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions woodburninng stove

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    shannon sait
    Participant

Hi my husband and i are just about to get a base van converted to a campervan and we want a woodburning stove in it but we are a bit ignorant on the ins and outs of this ie fitting, safty, tips ect any help would be appreciated…..

mgroadster
    Participant

What are you converting? Not
    What are you converting? Not a basic panel van surely?
    My only fear is CO2 poisoning.
    However, the tree huggers have em in converted army trucks etc. and I believe they work well

mgroadster
    Participant

However, the tree huggers have em in converted army trucks etc. and I believe they work well

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Nomad
    Participant

Do it!
    Hi, fantastic idea and as MGR says, this can definately be done!
    Check WindySmithy’s website and google for ‘gas bottle wood burner’ just to get some ideas. Also, small woodstoves have been made for use on boats.

Due to weight its better to choose sheet metal stoves, as cast iron weighs a lot. But cast iron stays warmer longer. This is why sheet metal stove often come with ‘stove stones’, that release the heat overnight.

For installation, I would do it myself, but its very recommendable to hire a local stove installer. It should n’t leak, even after miles and miles of bumpy road. There should be a safety distances to burning material around the stove. There should be an hole in the floor under the stove that provides it with oxygen and draft. Etc etc

What kind of car is it? How many square meters are you going to heat?

Nomad
    Participant

Do it!
    Check WindySmithy’s website and google for ‘gas bottle wood burner’ just to get some ideas. Also, small woodstoves have been made for use on boats.

Due to weight its better to choose sheet metal stoves, as cast iron weighs a lot. But cast iron stays warmer longer. This is why sheet metal stove often come with ‘stove stones’, that release the heat overnight.

For installation, I would do it myself, but its very recommendable to hire a local stove installer. It should n’t leak, even after miles and miles of bumpy road. There should be a safety distances to burning material around the stove. There should be an hole in the floor under the stove that provides it with oxygen and draft. Etc etc

Nomad
    Participant

Do it!

Nomad
    Participant

Do it!

Darren
    Keymaster

A very important thing to
    A very important thing to consider is your insurance. Many campervan insurance companies are not happy to insure vehicles that have a wood burner installed. Those that do insure generally state that they will not cover any damage caused by the wood burner.

Darren
    Keymaster

A very important thing to consider is your insurance. Many campervan insurance companies are not happy to insure vehicles that have a wood burner installed. Those that do insure generally state that they will not cover any damage caused by the wood burner.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Tristan

wood burners in vans
    Does anyone know of any insurers of vans who will cover with a wood burner installed?

Tristan

wood burners in vans
    Does anyone know of any insurers of vans who will cover with a wood burner installed?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.