Widthways / traverse beds in Iveco’s / Sprinters / Transits

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Widthways / traverse beds in Iveco’s / Sprinters / Transits

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Oli1234
    Participant

Hi all,
    First post in this fantastic website. Thanks to Darren (and all your posts) for this great (and free!) resource that has provided endless help.

Currently planning out a conversion of a Sprinter/Iveco LWB Hi-top panel van. I’d love to be able to put a double bed widthway / traverse across the rear of the van to provide more space in the middle and front of the van.

I am 1820mm tall (6′).
    After insulation and pannelling I believe the van width is roughly 1750mm (5’8″).

I plan on living in the van for up to 1 year throughout Europe and UK.

Has anyone else around my height fitted a traverse double bed? Can you sleep well? Can it accomodate two people?
    Is it worth the space saving if it’s not 100% comfortable to sleep widthways?
    Thanks,
    Oli

Darren

Hi Oli
    Hi Oli

I have a Sprinter (2002), and I thought about fitting the bed across the rear of the van. I didn’t in the end as I didn’t feel it was wide enough (I’m 5’9″).
    In hindsight, after spending 18 months or so on various trips, It is the one thing I would change the most about the van.
    Given my height I think I would be able to sleep OK with it. I do like to stretch out, and find a confined space frustrating.
    Given that you are taller than me, you would need to consider how you find a confined space.
    Once you add insulation and some panelling the available width does reduce quote a bit.

It’s a shame these vans are a little too narrow. Great for delivery drivers I guess.

Darren

Hi Oli
    Hi Oli

I have a Sprinter (2002), and I thought about fitting the bed across the rear of the van. I didn’t in the end as I didn’t feel it was wide enough (I’m 5’9″).
    In hindsight, after spending 18 months or so on various trips, It is the one thing I would change the most about the van.
    Given my height I think I would be able to sleep OK with it. I do like to stretch out, and find a confined space frustrating.
    Given that you are taller than me, you would need to consider how you find a confined space.
    Once you add insulation and some panelling the available width does reduce quote a bit.

It’s a shame these vans are a little too narrow. Great for delivery drivers I guess.

retford pugman
    Participant

if you havn’t already got the
    if you havn’t already got the van, check out the dimensions of the peugeot boxer (or badge alikes), they’re said to be wider than most.

retford pugman
    Participant

if you havn’t already got the
    if you havn’t already got the van, check out the dimensions of the peugeot boxer (or badge alikes), they’re said to be wider than most.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.