where to camp on route to Dover?

Home Forum topic Camping where to camp on route to Dover?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

Hi

We are heading to France and Spain in June via Dover to Calais in our Renault Traffic conversion. We’re setting off from Lancashire 6pm ish after work on the Friday night and need to be in Dover midday on the Saturday. We’re thinking of camping somewhere overnight, maybe an hour or two away from Dover, then doing the final leg in the morning. We dont want to wild camp on this night so has anyone got suggestions for a site and one that would be ok with us arriving late?

Thanks all

Alison

mgroadster
    Participant

Yes….I would plump for
    Yes….I would plump for Bishop’s Stortford services on the M11.
    M6, A14, M11,M25, M2.
    At that time of night, no camp site is going to welcome you and also at the services, you park up in a little corner of the car park somewhere, pay your night parking fee in the services and have at your disposal….24hr Toilets, food & drink etc. Easy 2hr. drift down to Dover in the morning.
    Should you feel like driving further before pulling up, get on the M25 and pull into Thurrock services just by the Dartford crossing. (Services are my preferred overnight stop when travelling)

mgroadster
    Participant

Yes….I would plump for
    M6, A14, M11,M25, M2.
    At that time of night, no camp site is going to welcome you and also at the services, you park up in a little corner of the car park somewhere, pay your night parking fee in the services and have at your disposal….24hr Toilets, food & drink etc. Easy 2hr. drift down to Dover in the morning.
    Should you feel like driving further before pulling up, get on the M25 and pull into Thurrock services just by the Dartford crossing. (Services are my preferred overnight stop when travelling)

mgroadster
    Participant

Yes….I would plump for
    M6, A14, M11,M25, M2.

mgroadster
    Participant

Yes….I would plump for
    M6, A14, M11,M25, M2.

Alison
    Participant

Didnt think about that!
    Hi

Thanks so much for the reply. I was wanting a campsite and my other half wanted to wild camp. This is a perfect compromise and being newbies, we didnt know you could stay at the services. Problem solved…great advice. Thank you :-))))

Alison
    Participant

Didnt think about that!
    Hi

Thanks so much for the reply. I was wanting a campsite and my other half wanted to wild camp. This is a perfect compromise and being newbies, we didnt know you could stay at the services. Problem solved…great advice. Thank you :-))))

Alison
    Participant

Didnt think about that!
    Hi

Alison
    Participant

Didnt think about that!
    Hi

mgroadster
    Participant

Just ensure you pay the over
    Just ensure you pay the over 2 hour parking fee in the services…It’s not much, but will certainly stop you getting a shock later, when you get the non payment charge.
    You will probably find overnight caravanners staying there also. There is usually a parking area for trailers & caravans, I always go in there. If you go to the main car park, ensure you get as far away as the main building as you can, if you want a peaceful night because people travel all night and slamming car doors etc, but they tend to park as near to the main building as poss.

mgroadster
    Participant

Just ensure you pay the over 2 hour parking fee in the services…It’s not much, but will certainly stop you getting a shock later, when you get the non payment charge.
    You will probably find overnight caravanners staying there also. There is usually a parking area for trailers & caravans, I always go in there. If you go to the main car park, ensure you get as far away as the main building as you can, if you want a peaceful night because people travel all night and slamming car doors etc, but they tend to park as near to the main building as poss.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.