What should I get?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions What should I get?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    kirky
    Participant

Hi All!

I am new to the forum! I am 15 and looking for a camper van for me to drive when I am 17. I’ve seen a few around that look rather nice and not sure what I want. I’ve wondered wether to buy a van and make it into a campervan or buy a campervan?

I was wondering if any-one could tell me what I should look for and the size. It will only have to sleep 1-2 people and it doesn’t need to be luxury.

Also, there must be pro’s or con’s to having a campervan that doen’t look like a campervan…Insurance wise? I will need a campervan that would be relatively cheap on insurance when I am 17. Does insurance on a campervan cost more than a normal van?

What type of van would people recomend or does this depend on who you are?

Thanks
    Tom

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. There are always lots of
    There are always lots of Transits around, and they are cheap. The all suffer from rust badly, and you’ll need to keep on top of it. The mechanics are sounds, and parts are easy to find.

Get a high-top if you want to be able to stand up easily, get a low or mid-top if you don’t care. Short wheel base uses less fuel, but has less space.

VW Transporters use a lot of car components and are generally made more like a car, and therefore are better built. The bodywork in particular is better than most vans. They are reliable and quite fashionable, so they are expensive.

2. .
    Thanks for the reply,

The ‘stealth camper’ sounds great for me.

I think I am going to keep my eye out in the local paper and try a find one at a relativly cheap price – I don’t mind a bit of mechanics!

I would like a van that is fairly common so parts will be cheap and easy to get. Possibly a teansit would be nice. Get confused with the Long wheel and short wheel base and Hightop. What do people recommend? I would need somthing ok on fuel so I am gessing a SWB (normal top – not sure what you say).

Also I find that VW go for quite alot of money than a transit – is this because they are better or just because they are the ‘traditional’ camper?

Thanks
    Tom

3. Hi Tom
    There are a few

Hi Tom

There are a few things to consider.

Camper vans are expensive to buy, so buying a van and converting it into a camper van saves money, and allows you to have a vehicle that exactly suits what you need. Building something simple is fairly easy and cheap, if you have some DIY experience. Building something like a professional conversion takes more time and fair bit more money.

If you are going to use the vehicle every day then you should consider a small vehicle, as they are cheaper to run. Volkswagens are popular choices as they are well made and compact, but can be expensive to buy. The smaller car derived vans (like Peugeot Experts, Fiat Scudos) are also a great choice. Bigger vans (like Ford Transits and Mercedes Sprinters) fall into different tax brackets and cost more in fuel.

Normally camper van insurance is cheaper than van insurance. Having a camper van that looks like a van on the outside (a stealth camper) is a good option as it does not draw any attention from thieves.

VW vans are good. Older T2 and T25’s are expensive and require a bit of maintenance work. Newer T4 vans can be found for good prices and are reliable. T5’s are the newest and quite expensive, but great vans.

Toyota Hi-Ace vans are good, although hard to find in Europe.

Peugeot Export/Fiat Scudo vans are great little vans that drive like cars.

Ford Transits are bigger, have great engines, etc, but always rust.

Mercedes Sprinters are rock solid, but expensive to buy.

Hope this helps.