VW LT40 1987 conversion … questions

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van VW LT40 1987 conversion … questions

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    tonycp
    Participant

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and to campers … I am thinking of buying a converted 1987 VW LT40 which I saw today and am wondering about some details …

First, the registration document shows it as Body Type “Van”, not Camper Van. Does this matter? It is clearly a conversion but is obviously now a campervan, and, according to the current owner, was done by the original owner of the vehicle…

Second, it has taxation class as Private Light / Goods. Again … does this matter? Am I likely to have trouble having this changed to recreational?

Third, I was wondering about the rules on seat belts. It does not have belts in the back. Does this mean you are not allowed to carry passengers in the back? If so, what does adding seatbelts involve in terms of cost and registration changes?

Many thanks for any help,

Tony

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Thanks Darren. That all seems
    Thanks Darren. That all seems like good and clear advice!

Tony

2. Hi tonycp
    Welcome!
    Great news

Hi tonycp

Welcome!

Great news on the purchase.
    To be safe (for insurance, police, etc you need to change the classification of the vehicle.
    Hopefully all the info you need is on this webpage:
    https://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

Your tax class will change when the vehicle is re-classified, it’s definitely cheaper than PLG.

Seat belts can be tricky. The law is fuzzy. Hopefully this page will help:
    https://www.campervanlife.com/forum/campervan-conversions/seat-belts-regulations-and-guidelines-for-camper-vans-and-motorhomes

I don’t think you need them, but it’s definitely a good idea. No registration costs, but get an MOT tester to check any that are fitted.

All the best