touring in europe for a year

Home Forum topic Camping touring in europe for a year

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    bobster6
    Participant

hi all, i need some advice from you kind folk out there, ive been going to france over the last few years and travelling around a fair bit by car, great… but im thinking of going for it and packing up work to tour for a year. i have been looking at camper vans and the sort of size i would prefer is autosleeper kind of size, any thoughts on that, my budget for a van is around £5000. also what would the rough cost be for this sort of trip be, eg fuel, weekly food budgets, staying in campsites, insurance. would be great if i could hear from anyone else who has done this kind of trip, im not loaded so the trip would be on a fairly tight budget, just me the mrs and freedom for a year, any tips and advice on all aspects of this sort of trip would be greatly appreciated and i thankyou kindly for reading this thread,, best regards bob

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. touring
    hi, sounds great. if i could stick to that sort of budget it would be great,also the camper vans look good for the money, i was thinking of the other shape, kinda more van style the best way i can descibe it, not clued up at all on this as you can tell, ive got plenty of time to plan it cos i wont be going till next year sometime, well earlier the better really but of course the mrs as to agree, he he..im sure i would be doing more wild camping to keep the spending down, maybe once or twice a week in campsites, nothing is set in stone yet but looking forward to plaining it.thanks very much for the advice and im sure im gonna be asking for some more, it would be nice ,say in year or so time when maybe i could give some advice to folks on touring europe, thanks again… bob

2. Hi Bob
    Autosleepers are great

Hi Bob

Autosleepers are great vehicles. For £5,000 you’ll be looking at models around 1995 or before. Here are some old ads from Gumtree. Please note these campers have already sold.

http://dundee.gumtree.com/dundee/83/66042283.html
    http://york.gumtree.com/york/57/66545957.html
    http://essex.gumtree.com/essex/36/65731536.html

When you are touring in Europe the size of the van wont matter much in terms os driving. What will matter is how much room you want inside the vehicle. You should bases your purchase around that, and any other important factors such as if you are keeping the vehicle at home, will it fit on you drive?

It’s possible to get by on £300 per month. However, if you spend more on food and stay in campsites every night you will be looking at £500+. The budget is entirely up to you.

I spent 9 months touring western Europe and had a fantastic time. I kept my costs low by always cooking for myself and wild camping a lot of the time.

I think you’ll have a great time. Good luck with looking for a vehicle.