Too many miles?

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Too many miles?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Travellingmelberry
    Participant

Hi there, I’m back with more questions in my quest for a van. I’m now looking at a VW LT 35, diesel, 1991 van, seems to have good service history and be in good condition BUT it has 178000 miles on the clock. Is this too much? Also, could anyone suggest what a good MPG would be for a late 80s or early 90s van?
    Thanks in advance!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Travellingmelberry April 29, 2010 at 11:19 am

Thanks Darren. Unfortunately
    Thanks Darren. Unfortunately I have approximately zero mechanical knowledge! Will be sure to review the service records properly.

2. That mileage can be OK.
    That mileage can be OK. Service history goes a long way, as it shows owners have cared for it, rather than just driving it until it breaks.
    With that mileage bigger things can go wrong. Such as the rear axle needing replacing, etc. The sort of thing that you wouldn’t get at lower mileage.
    However, it doesn’t mean it will happen.

I had a Sprinter van with 200,000 miles on the clock. Did a 12,000 mile trip of Europe and only a glow plug failed, which I fixed when I got home.
    I also had a BMW car with 220,000 miles on the clock. Barely had a problem with it in the 60,000 mile I drove in it.

High mileage isn’t necessary a bad thing, especially on reliable German vehicles. More so if you are mechanically minded.