T25 Restoration

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gilbertsnz
    Participant

Hi One and all, i guess im a born again V-dubber. First had an oval window in 87 but sold it to take my then girlfriend on holiday (the things we do for love) a brief love affair with a convertible in 91, sold it to get married (same girl) Last year i got a 1980 T25 and am looking to get the bodywork done, welding and painting but i do have a limited budget £2000ish. i would be great full for any recommendations of restorers in the East Sussex area. Hope to do the inside myself and then attend as many VW events as i can.
    Thank You
    Mark

mgroadster
    Participant

Unfortunately, 2k doesn’t buy
    Unfortunately, 2k doesn’t buy you much in a body/paint shop. A 1/2 decent paint job will cost you that besides any bodywork.
    Restorations are the biggest money pit for classics going, and many will never ever recoup their costs unless the fully intend to keep the vehicle for a long long time.
    MIG welding is not that complicated although practice, practice, practice, first. You can then sell the welder unit for what you paid for it and therefore save a bundle.
    Maybe buy a compressor and gun…practice practice practice and maybe you could do a reasonable job and again sell the compressor & gun on when done!(Just find a dust free zone to spray…ie line a garage wall with polythene. All do-able and take the wife to a good quality restaurant with some of the money you saved.

mgroadster
    Participant

Unfortunately, 2k doesn’t buy you much in a body/paint shop. A 1/2 decent paint job will cost you that besides any bodywork.
    Restorations are the biggest money pit for classics going, and many will never ever recoup their costs unless the fully intend to keep the vehicle for a long long time.
    MIG welding is not that complicated although practice, practice, practice, first. You can then sell the welder unit for what you paid for it and therefore save a bundle.
    Maybe buy a compressor and gun…practice practice practice and maybe you could do a reasonable job and again sell the compressor & gun on when done!(Just find a dust free zone to spray…ie line a garage wall with polythene. All do-able and take the wife to a good quality restaurant with some of the money you saved.

mgroadster
    Participant

Mi Campervan
    Participant

Hi mate I can help you with
    Hi mate I can help you with most of what you need as I am too a vw nut. I am only in Southampton so not too far. Please have a look at my web site (not finished yet) there are some pics of a t25 interior trim on there if you search.
    Also check out my youtube channel for help vids for your conversions …. search mikemccannable for my channel.
    my web site is Mi-Van.co.uk
    Best Regards Mike

Mi Campervan
    Participant

Hi mate I can help you with most of what you need as I am too a vw nut. I am only in Southampton so not too far. Please have a look at my web site (not finished yet) there are some pics of a t25 interior trim on there if you search.
    Also check out my youtube channel for help vids for your conversions …. search mikemccannable for my channel.
    Best Regards Mike

Mi Campervan
    Participant

Best Regards Mike

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.