Still only a begineer

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Still only a begineer

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    WhityVanSnuggle
    Participant

Hi:
    We are the Jacob family (1 mum, 1 dad and 1 adventurous 5 year old boy). We are new to campervans but are settling in to our van which my son named Whitey-van-snuggle after watching a program about Vincent Van Gogh!! But now we need some help and advice.

Anyway we managed a brilliant week in Cornwall last year where we started to find our feet and our way around the van. This year we are off to Spain and France for 3 weeks in the summer.

We really need some expert help on things like dealing with mosquitoes and sleeping arrangements. Please help!

Also, although I have European breakdown, I am not sure about other legal stuff and insurance. I am happy driving cars in france but is there anything extra to know about driving a van about there???

Cheers

Tamara

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi Tamara
    Great to hear of

Hi Tamara

Great to hear of your adventures.

Do you have mosquito nets on your windows? They are great, as you can keep the windows open during the evening and night.
    Citronella candles are great for when sitting outdoors. They are cheap, easy to get and keep the mosquitos away.
    In the evening make sure you have the windows and doors shut, especially when you have the internal lights on. This will stop the bugs coming inside. They are drawn to the light.

Do you have a separate bed for your son?

You need to check with your insurance company about covering you in France and Spain. It may be included, it may not.
    Also check your breakdown. Some do not cover being abroad.

To travel in France you legally need

– Warning triangle – A red triangle placed behind the vehicle if you breakdown. Only a few Euros from a French supermarket.
    – Reflective jacket – 1 for every person in the vehicle. If you stop on the road, wether for a breakdown of being stopped by the Police, but it on before getting out of the vehicle. Keep them all in the cab.
    – Headlamp adjustment – apply stickers to adjust the headlamp bulbs once you get to France.

Spain.
    – Warning triangle x 2 – same as france but you need 2 of them
    – Spare bulbs – Carry a spare bulb set. Replace any bulb if it blows.
    – Headlamp adjustment – Same as France
    – Reflective jacket – Same as France.

Check the speed limits for your vehicle there. Your’s looks like a less than 2.8 ton van, so you can generally do car speed limits.