Spain & Portugal during Jan / Feb ??

Home Forum topic Camping Spain & Portugal during Jan / Feb ??

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Lazy Pelican
    Participant

We’re considering touring Spain and Portugal next Jan / Feb. We’d like to explore inland as well as the coast. We’ll probably restrict ourselves to the southern area’s to get better weather.
    My question is is the weather likely to be good enough to make it worthwhile?

Thanks,
    John

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Whether the weather
    Hello there

I camp throughout Spain and Portugal for a couple of months at a time between November and April – usually Jan and Feb – and I think it depends very much on your expectations. The coast is generally warm for the wintertime – but inland can be very cold (like -10C overnight) and snowing if you’re unlucky. That said, the Iberian SW is the warmest part of Europe and the SE the driest – so you can’t really lose.

On my 80-day trip there earlier this year, my overnight minimum temp averaged about 8.5C, which was warmer than the daytime average in the UK I believe. I had only one night below freezing (-1.6C) and that was at the beginning of Jan in northern France. It was pretty chilly across the plains north-east of Madrid, but that’s why I have a woodburner…

There are always lots of other campers there if you crave company, but it’s so much quieter than later in the year that you can easily find your own personal beach or mountain for a few days. I’ve never been hassled either – just moved on a couple of times, very politely, in over 10 years visiting.

Hope this helps

2. Hi John
    When the weather is

Hi John

When the weather is good, it is very warm there. But it’s just as likely to be cool and possibly raining.
    If you’re going for more than a few weeks you’ll almost certainly have some nice days.
    But it’s a bit risky for just a few weeks, in my opinion.