seeking help and advise for complete novice on camper vans

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself seeking help and advise for complete novice on camper vans

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    paulkane1
    Participant

HELLO ALL, I AM A NEW MEMBER 6 MINS OR SO, BUT I NEED A LOT OF HELP AND ADVISE ON ALL THINGS CAMPER VAN. I HAVE NEVER OWNED A CAMPER VAN BEFORE IN MY LIFE, SO THIS IS NEW WATERS FOR ME, ME AND MY SON AND SON IN LAW ,ARE AVID FISHERMEN,AND IT IS OUR INTENTIONS TO FISH AS MANY RIVERS AS POSSIBLE IN IRELAND. I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A VAN AS MY FIRST BUY, COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION ON THIS VAN ? IT IS A ” AUTOHOMES 2.0 , PETROL, TALBOT 4 BERTH, PETROL ,1985. ARE THESE VANS HARD TO INSURE ? I MEAN COSTLY ? WHAT ARE LIKE ON FUEL CONSUMPTION ? WHAT SORT OF REPUTATION DO THEY HAVE.
    THE PERSON SELLING IS LOOKING £3500, IS THIS THE AVERAGE PRICE FOR THIS AGE OF VAN ? I HAVE NOT SEEN IT PERSONALLY YET, BUT IT LOOKS IN GOOD ENOUGH CONDITION, GOING BY THE PHOTOS. AS I SAY I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CAMPER VANS , AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP AND ADVISE THAT ANYONE COULD GIVE ME,

YOURS KINDLY PAUL

Talbot!!??
    Hi there,
    Lots of us newbie’s on this great foum. Ive learned so much in the short time ive been on so will you too.
    I’ve got a bit of experience with touring europe in my old merc bus, but my knowledge isnt vast about which coachbuilders might be the best, often its down to personal choice and nothing more but what i will say is the base vehicle is important.
    My own experience of Talbot was painful and expensive. i bought an Autotrail Mohawk on a 2.5 ltr diesel, 15 years old for 7k (this was back in 2005). The layout was superb but the construction of aluminium sheet on a wooden frame meant lots of leaks and potential leaks. The caulking had to be replaced and some of the wooden frame too. Bt by far the worst was the Talbot base vehicle. Nothing but trouble! new clutch, electrics, engine, ugh! i shudder to remember. I only kept it long enough to get it back into a saleable condition and then sold it for the same money but lost £3k on the cost of repairs.
    Maybe it was a one off but i would never consider owning a Talbot when there are so many better vans out there. Sprinters, Transits, Masters, all good base vehicles.
    Hope this helps!
    Keep reading this forum and you wont go far wrong in making a good decision with all the great advice available from some very knowledgeable folks

good luck with your rivers of fishing project too, let us all know how you get on

regards Suz

Talbot!!??
    Hi there,
    Lots of us newbie’s on this great foum. Ive learned so much in the short time ive been on so will you too.
    I’ve got a bit of experience with touring europe in my old merc bus, but my knowledge isnt vast about which coachbuilders might be the best, often its down to personal choice and nothing more but what i will say is the base vehicle is important.
    My own experience of Talbot was painful and expensive. i bought an Autotrail Mohawk on a 2.5 ltr diesel, 15 years old for 7k (this was back in 2005). The layout was superb but the construction of aluminium sheet on a wooden frame meant lots of leaks and potential leaks. The caulking had to be replaced and some of the wooden frame too. Bt by far the worst was the Talbot base vehicle. Nothing but trouble! new clutch, electrics, engine, ugh! i shudder to remember. I only kept it long enough to get it back into a saleable condition and then sold it for the same money but lost £3k on the cost of repairs.
    Maybe it was a one off but i would never consider owning a Talbot when there are so many better vans out there. Sprinters, Transits, Masters, all good base vehicles.
    Hope this helps!
    Keep reading this forum and you wont go far wrong in making a good decision with all the great advice available from some very knowledgeable folks

good luck with your rivers of fishing project too, let us all know how you get on

regards Suz

Talbot!!??
    Hi there,
    Hope this helps!

regards Suz

Talbot!!??
    Hi there,
    Hope this helps!

regards Suz

mgroadster
    Participant

Personally, I’d shy away from
    Personally, I’d shy away from anything that is petrol, due to fuel consumption. Not sure who was supplying engines to Talbot in those days, maybe Peugeot, not sure.
    I’d continue looking for a diesel for better reliability.
    (Failing that, if you are intent on this vehicle, make an insulting offer, you just never know). Also it is the height of the buying/selling season now, so prices are higher than maybe winter.

mgroadster
    Participant

Personally, I’d shy away from anything that is petrol, due to fuel consumption. Not sure who was supplying engines to Talbot in those days, maybe Peugeot, not sure.
    (Failing that, if you are intent on this vehicle, make an insulting offer, you just never know). Also it is the height of the buying/selling season now, so prices are higher than maybe winter.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

£3,500 seems expensive for
    £3,500 seems expensive for such an old vehicle. I would be looking to pay around £1,000 for that van , especially considering it is petrol.
    £3,500 gets you quite a bit of campervan. A campervan would be perfect for your fishing trips.

Darren
    Keymaster

£3,500 seems expensive for such an old vehicle. I would be looking to pay around £1,000 for that van , especially considering it is petrol.
    £3,500 gets you quite a bit of campervan. A campervan would be perfect for your fishing trips.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

paulkane1
    Participant

Talbot
    Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Yours Kindly Paul

paulkane1
    Participant

Talbot
    Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Yours Kindly Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.