Renault Dodge 50 or Mercedes 508D?

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Renault Dodge 50 or Mercedes 508D?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    smiffy
    Participant

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy a campervan/motorhome. We’ve found a lovely Dodge 50, and an equally lovely Merc 508D. We like the Dodge more and it is cheaper, but we tend to think that perhaps the merc is a better buy.

Does anyone have any advice, or suggestions for the best way to assess which would be the best buy?

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Nomad
    Participant

I don’t know anything about a
    I don’t know anything about a Dodge 50, but the 508’s are definately worth considering. Very trustworthy engine, easy maintenance. Rear brakes always need adjusting and some sensitive rustspots here and there.
    Both cars have forums with enthousiasts so Id reccommend going there and read al about the cars.

But before you buy anything you should write down your demands. How much space do you guys need? Whats already installed in the particular vans youre looking at, and how much would that save you? What mileage do you expect? Top speed? Etc.

And the state of the cars. Engine overhaul? Brakes overhaul, new shock absorbers, exhaust, these things cost. (Assuming theres a camping interior:)if you need to weld on the car, you have to remove the interior (gets set on fire). Is the interior in such a state you want to reuse it? If no, buying a empty van might be cheaper and more fun building your own.

Just a few thoughts of many. Lots of things to think about, and just as many ways to look at it! I hope you guys will make good adventures nonetheless. Good luck.

Nomad
    Participant

I don’t know anything about a Dodge 50, but the 508’s are definately worth considering. Very trustworthy engine, easy maintenance. Rear brakes always need adjusting and some sensitive rustspots here and there.
    Both cars have forums with enthousiasts so Id reccommend going there and read al about the cars.

But before you buy anything you should write down your demands. How much space do you guys need? Whats already installed in the particular vans youre looking at, and how much would that save you? What mileage do you expect? Top speed? Etc.

And the state of the cars. Engine overhaul? Brakes overhaul, new shock absorbers, exhaust, these things cost. (Assuming theres a camping interior:)if you need to weld on the car, you have to remove the interior (gets set on fire). Is the interior in such a state you want to reuse it? If no, buying a empty van might be cheaper and more fun building your own.

Just a few thoughts of many. Lots of things to think about, and just as many ways to look at it! I hope you guys will make good adventures nonetheless. Good luck.

Nomad
    Participant

Nomad
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

I would go for the Merc.
    I would go for the Merc. Probably more reliable, and a better all around vehicle.

Where in the world are you based? If in Europe parts will probably be much easy to get for the Merc.

Darren
    Keymaster

I would go for the Merc.
    I would go for the Merc. Probably more reliable, and a better all around vehicle.

Where in the world are you based? If in Europe parts will probably be much easy to get for the Merc.

Darren
    Keymaster

I would go for the Merc.

Darren
    Keymaster

I would go for the Merc.

sheila

I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT MY DODGE
    I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT MY DODGE 50 THAT I LIVED IN FOR 5 YEARS.MINE IS VERY COZY ,LOADS OF HEADROOM,DOUBLE BEDROOM,LOADS OF STORAGE,A LOVELY PLACE TO LIVE,HOWEVER IT HAS TO BE SAID THAT THE LOVELY PERKINS ENGINE RELIABLE AS IT IS,ITS A BIT OF AN OLD CHUGGER,NOT GOOD ON MOTORWAYS AND ON (A) ROADS I ALWAYS HAD A QUEUE BEHIND ME.I AM SELLING MINE NOW,IF YOUR INTERESTED.

sheila

I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT MY DODGE 50 THAT I LIVED IN FOR 5 YEARS.MINE IS VERY COZY ,LOADS OF HEADROOM,DOUBLE BEDROOM,LOADS OF STORAGE,A LOVELY PLACE TO LIVE,HOWEVER IT HAS TO BE SAID THAT THE LOVELY PERKINS ENGINE RELIABLE AS IT IS,ITS A BIT OF AN OLD CHUGGER,NOT GOOD ON MOTORWAYS AND ON (A) ROADS I ALWAYS HAD A QUEUE BEHIND ME.I AM SELLING MINE NOW,IF YOUR INTERESTED.

sheila

sheila

smiffy
    Participant

Thank you so much for the
    Thank you so much for the replies and I apologise for my delay in replying. We went for the 508D in the end. It’s beautiful! Thanks again.

smiffy
    Participant

Thank you so much for the
    Thank you so much for the replies and I apologise for my delay in replying. We went for the 508D in the end. It’s beautiful! Thanks again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.