Query about electric hook-up in my campervan….

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Query about electric hook-up in my campervan….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    corstev
    Participant

Hi Everyone
    Hope someone can help me. I’ve purchased a Ford Transit campervan conversion (amateur) and am hoping to use the electric hook up. Whoever installed it has added two standard household plug-sockets in the back of the van, and what resembles a zig unit behind the driver’s seat. The only problem is, there is only a “female” socket there – i.e… holes not pins. Now correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this the wrong way round? Surely at campsites you only get females sockets there…. so its as if i need a male to male adaptor, and I can’t see that these exist….
    Hope thats not too confusing and would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thanks again y’all.
    Steve

Oh… and for the record… it is a Wylex Consumer unit with a female socket wired into it. I am a complete beginner to this…. just want to get power into my van! Have attached a photo of it.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Steve
    Yes, that’s the

Hi Steve

Yes, that’s the wrong way around. The easiest solution would be to change that plug, rather than make another convertor lead.
    I would change the fitted female plug with one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-16-amp-3-Pin-Plug-220-240-volts-weatherproof-IP44-16A-generator-camper-/261023561974?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3cc63778f6#ht_825wt_1075

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Steve
    Yes, that’s the

Hi Steve

Yes, that’s the wrong way around. The easiest solution would be to change that plug, rather than make another convertor lead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-16-amp-3-Pin-Plug-220-240-volts-weatherproof-IP44-16A-generator-camper-/261023561974?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3cc63778f6#ht_825wt_1075

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Steve
    Yes, that’s the

Hi Steve

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Steve
    Yes, that’s the

Hi Steve

corstev
    Participant

Brilliant Darren thanks for
    Brilliant Darren thanks for the advice mate. The question remains tho… why would it have a female socket attached in the first place??? Also, bit worried about earthing… poss an idea to have a sparkie give it a once over???

corstev
    Participant

Brilliant Darren thanks for the advice mate. The question remains tho… why would it have a female socket attached in the first place??? Also, bit worried about earthing… poss an idea to have a sparkie give it a once over???

corstev
    Participant

corstev
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

Not really sure. Maybe it’s
    Not really sure. Maybe it’s what they already had, and they adjusted their lead so that it connected to the campsite OK. You could just change the plug on your campsite lead, so that is has two male ends.

I suspect it is wired OK. If you change the plug you’ll be connecting the same wiring to the plug, so the earth will still be the earth etc. If you have a multimeter you could check it yourself. The van body should be earthed.

Darren
    Keymaster

Not really sure. Maybe it’s what they already had, and they adjusted their lead so that it connected to the campsite OK. You could just change the plug on your campsite lead, so that is has two male ends.

I suspect it is wired OK. If you change the plug you’ll be connecting the same wiring to the plug, so the earth will still be the earth etc. If you have a multimeter you could check it yourself. The van body should be earthed.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

bigboack
    Participant

Dont use a male to male plug
    Dont use a male to male plug it leaves the ends open for electrocution. it should always be plug to socket from mains to the van. ie plug goes into mains and socket goes to plug at the van, Imagine sticking your finger on those pins whilst its LIVE. Get it checked for earthing to the van chassis also, as whoever did this is a complete idiot.

bigboack
    Participant

Dont use a male to male plug
    Dont use a male to male plug it leaves the ends open for electrocution. it should always be plug to socket from mains to the van. ie plug goes into mains and socket goes to plug at the van, Imagine sticking your finger on those pins whilst its LIVE. Get it checked for earthing to the van chassis also, as whoever did this is a complete idiot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.