Plywood base for bed

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Plywood base for bed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stuart
    Participant

I am building a bed with a plywood base. I have built a box about 1/2 width of the bed which will have a plywood top with the other 1/2 attached with piano hinge. The other edge of the base is supported by fixed wood ledge for most of the length of the bed. Has anyone any opinion on a suitable thickness of plywood for the base.

Darren
    Keymaster

So about 3 ft of the bed will
    So about 3 ft of the bed will be unsupported plywood?
    I would personally like to use a support in the middle of the bed.
    If you can’t use the a support I would be tempted to use 15mm for bed.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

stuart
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. The bed
    Thanks for the reply. The bed is supported on one side by the frame of the box and supported down the middle. The box is a bit larger than 1/2 the bed. The part that extends beyond the box is 400mm wide supported on one side by the box frame and piano hinge to the box/bed top. The bed is around 2m long. The extended part is supported on the other side by a wood ledge that is 1100mm long then a gap of around 400mm then sits on the box (it is L shaped). So the extended board is supported completely along on long side, along the other with a gap 400m and supported (width wise) completely at the head end. At the foot end it is unsuppported width wise.

stuart
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. The bed is supported on one side by the frame of the box and supported down the middle. The box is a bit larger than 1/2 the bed. The part that extends beyond the box is 400mm wide supported on one side by the box frame and piano hinge to the box/bed top. The bed is around 2m long. The extended part is supported on the other side by a wood ledge that is 1100mm long then a gap of around 400mm then sits on the box (it is L shaped). So the extended board is supported completely along on long side, along the other with a gap 400m and supported (width wise) completely at the head end. At the foot end it is unsuppported width wise.

stuart
    Participant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.