Pilote R380

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    bimble777
    Participant

Hi All,
    I have a 1987 Pilote R380, owned since 1998 and used most years for two months in Spain and France. Sadly, the bodywork, mainly the underscreen area, is getting beyond me, despite spending about three grand over the last six years(beyond my finances anyway). I’m now thinking of buying a panel van/Luton van to do a conversion myself.

My question is, should I scavenge what I can from the Pilote, or should I try to sell it ‘as is’. The chassis is solid, the interior, which is all solid oak fittings, is in very good nick and it passes the MOT every year with no more than a few minor niggles.

Anyone have any ideas on which way I should go with this please?

Ian

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Your pilote
    Hello there,

I’m looking for a r380 and I have a ford transit swb medium roof which I have been using as a sort of camper its on eBay at the moment, would you be interested in swapping

Laughton

2. Hi, I would like to buy your
    Hi, I would like to buy your R380 as is, please contact me if you are interested in selling, cheers Keith

3. R380
    Hi, I would be interested in buying this camper as is, if you will consider please contact me, cheers Keith

4. Sorry to hear about the rust.
    Sorry to hear about the rust. It does sound like it’s the end of that vehicles time.
    If you can get the glued furniture out, you can always re-glue/screw. Fittings such as the cooker, fridge, etc are still worth a lot.
    Good luck

5. Something went wrong there –
    Something went wrong there – here is my text again.
    Thanks for the reply Darren. I’ve had the underscreen done twice, supposedly it was going to last for many years! I’ve just had patches welded around both speedo drives which I suspect will hold it for a couple of years.

As part of the work done six years ago I also had both of the door bottoms done, new inner wings, outer wings and bonnet. The bonnet is a bit of a disaster after six years. When I had a go at the bonnet rust myself, I found that there was rust underneath the grey primer. The door bottoms have started to go, badly, and one of the wings also.

The biggest pity is that the guy who did all that work has retired and moved away – harsh words would definitely have been said I think.

I’ve had a look at the furniture in the Pilote and it all appears to be glued together rather than screwed – not a show stopped, but yes it will make life more difficult.

Currently discussing options with she who makes all the monetary decisions!

6. Is it the area under the
    Is it the area under the windscreen that is corroding? I would have thought the best option would be to have that area treated and repaired and keep the good working vehicle, but it sounds like you have tried that.

Therefore it depends on what you can get for the current vehicle. You probably won’t get a lot for it.
    To be honest I would probably salvage the parts from it. You will have everything you need from it to make a great campervan conversion.
    Just take a look to see how the furniture is held together, and how easy it is to take apart. If everything is glued than it might be hard work. If mainly bolted than you’ll be able to salvage more.
    Having a vehicle to salvage saves a lot of time and sourcing of parts.

Let us know how you get a long.